iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uh-oh Log too heavy?

Started by Qweaver, August 04, 2010, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I've got a sawing job starting this weekend that includes 1300 BdFt of 1"x 18' random width poplar boards.  I don't have enough felled 18' logs to make that much and the only suitable  tree that I have standing is 32" dia. BH.  That's over 4000 lbs of log.  I'm not sure the JD 110 will lift that much on the forks.  I may be able to lift it with chains attached further back behind the forks.  I sure hate to get that log on the ground and then not be able to lift it.  I may be able to buck 8' off of the base and still get a smaller diameter 18 footer. 
I'm thinking that I may be able to use both tractors to lift it but that might be a trick to move also.
?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

paul case

quinton,
i have got 2 of those big buggers on the gound myself.34'' and 38'' lil end 48'' or so on the big end. 10' red oak. cant lift them with my tractor and wont fit on the saw. i tried  to peddle them off to every outfit around  and no one will take them unless i split them. they only pay for 1/2  the scale of the big log when split since thy measure across the shortest face. i guess i will split them and use them myself. they were dying trees or i would have never cut them.each made some top logs that i could saw.
i often worry about the weight on the mill too. mine is pretty sturdy and i dont want to bend it.
no answers here.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

DanG

You may not need to lift it, Q.  If you can skid that bad boy to the mill, you can parbuckle it onto the bed.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Qweaver

I've lifted 30" dia logs in the 12' range on the forks with the 110. So maybe chains behind the forks will work.  I hate to skid because of the dirt.  I have never tried parbuckling but the LT28 is setup to do it.  The tree is only 100' from the sawshed.  I could just move the saw up beside the log and use both tractors or parbuckle. 
Time becomes a factor.  I can not justify charging the customer setup time simply because I don't have the equipment to move the log...and yet, I don't want to work for $10 per hour.
I'm already giving this job a lot of free time.  The customer's builder gave me his requirement in SqFt for each board length which I now have to convert into running feet for each length needed.  Then because they want the boards in random widths, I'll have to keep a running tally as I saw.  I've set this up on a spread sheet to do that.  But it took a half hour of time to convert the SqFt to running feet and and set up the tally sheet.
I'll have to fell, buck, and move the limbs to the burn pile and then get the log on the saw before I start making money.  I'm charging $45 an hour for sawing time and I give $15 of that to my helper.  I'm also charging a small amount for using my logs.  I haven't determined that cost yet.  What's a fair price?
I may have to find another log for the 18 footers.  I also need 10' and 8' boards so if I can't easily lift it, I'll cut it down in length.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

tyb525

Qweaver, do you have a pressure washer or garden hose available to wash dirt off if you skid? How about a draw knife of some sort of debarker?

That is a fairly low price per hour, especially when having to deal with your own logs. When I have to provide the logs, I charge as if I had to buy the logs.

This website has links to various price reports for most states: http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/econ/data/prices/

That is what I use to price logs.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Qweaver

Thanks for that link TYB.  I'll use it also.   I just have to make sure that I don't price myself out of the market.  Now water there yet.  I usually carry the logs 200' to wash them.  Not an option in this case.

Hilltop366

Be carefull if lifting with two tractors, if one gives out or there is a misunderstanding with the other driver most of the weight can be transfered to the other tractor and overload it. This happened to a boom truck driver I know, they were using two trucks to lift a tank off a boat, not sure why but one side let go and put too much weight on the other and flipped the truck on it's side. He's lucky, only missing 1/2 of one arm.

Bibbyman

I've handled overweight logs by lifting and moving one end at a time.  Don't get it too far off the ground.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

nas

If you are going to move the mill to the tree, make sure you drop the tree first ;D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Burlkraft

Quote from: nas on August 04, 2010, 02:44:18 PM
If you are going to move the mill to the tree, make sure you drop the tree first ;D

Nick

Or you could just drop the tree on the mill..... :o :o :o :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ladylake

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 04, 2010, 01:13:39 PM
I've handled overweight logs by lifting and moving one end at a time.  Don't get it too far off the ground.
Bet you don't find too many you can't lift with those terex machines.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

on good logs that are mine i charge $.30/bdft. they would probably average that if i took them to the nearest mill. they pay doyle scale but i charge actual bdft. 1''x12''x12''. this takes a little of the pain out of handleing time. pc

btw. dont try to fall the tree onto your mill.
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

customsawyer

Paul if you are having trouble with them big logs I will come and mill them for you. You just have to pay the per mile rate to come that far. ;D
Your should be out making hay anyway.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

finished early today . started at 10 am baled everything that we cut yesterday and finished at 330. 100 bales.
i dont think i could recover enough lumber to pay for your trip, but if your in the area stop by and you may get put to work.pc
pc

Bibbyman

Quote from: ladylake on August 04, 2010, 05:01:35 PM
I've handled overweight logs by lifting and moving one end at a time.  Don't get it too far off the ground.
Bet you don't find too many you can't lift with those terex machines.  Steve

This was our "test" log for the machines we tried out.  Its 12' long about 40" dia red oak.  A bigger JD loader would not lift it.

But I got it to where it was with the AGCO 4660 by lifting one side at a time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

If I get close I will most likely be on the bike and when I'm on the bike I don't like to work. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

well just stop in anyhow. if you catch me here you can view'' my impressive lack of equipment''. pc
pc

ladylake

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 04, 2010, 05:25:49 PM
Quote from: ladylake on August 04, 2010, 05:01:35 PM
I've handled overweight logs by lifting and moving one end at a time.  Don't get it too far off the ground.
Bet you don't find too many you can't lift with those terex machines.  Steve

This was our "test" log for the machines we tried out.  Its 12' long about 40" dia red oak.  A bigger JD loader would not lift it.

But I got it to where it was with the AGCO 4660 by lifting one side at a time.

Wow, those machine ares impressive.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Handy Andy

I find I can move big logs with my skidsteer, even if I can't lift them up.  Just get the forks under them and barely get it off the ground and take it up to the mill. Might have to winch it up on there.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

bandmiller2

Quint,call the guy your cutting for mayby he dosen't need single boards that long,now if it was dimention stuff ok,boards can be pieced togather.To figure board feet stack like legnth boards togather in 4' wide piles easy to figure BF.Shame to cut that big tree just because someone wants long boards better saved  for something that matters like beams and rafters. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

Or you could just drop the tree on the mill..... :o :o :o :D :D
[/quote]

I was sawing for a guy years ago who told me he saw someone fell trees directly onto his trailer, back it up another 16 feet and repeat :o.  Dont't know if it really true or if it comes under the "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" department, but he added the sawyer was constantly repairing the trailer.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ljmathias

Yeah, and there was the video of the guy who sawed a huge palm tree onto the bed of his pickup somewhere on the forum- was using the pickup to "help" bring the tree down in the right direction.  Worked like a charm- tree missed the house altogether.  Course, the truck wasn't too drivable then... :D :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

paul case

when i first  started sawing  i hd a fella bring a 35'' x 15' catalpa. it had blown over in his yard. he blocked up the log and cut all the top up and removed it then backed a trailer under it as far as he could and cut it off the stump and pulled it on the rest of the way with a comealong. pulled the trailer out to my place with a 15hp john deere from commerce ok. 17 miles.
you can tell when someone is serious about getting a log sawed up. pc
pc

sigidi

Surely there is a swingblade close to you, even if you got a guy in to break the log down into large cants then resawed the boards you want from the cants? A swingmill should setup real easy wherever you drop the tree, then ya only moving boards and would be well easy on the tractor?
Always willing to help - Allan

Qweaver

It would be pretty hard to justify the cost of setting up a swinger to cut one log that will become B&B.  I'll just cut a smaller tree and make this big tree into shorter logs that I can lift.  Also the customer wants 10" and 12" boards.    My plan is to fell the tree, try to move it with two tractors and if that does not work I'll make 10' and 8' boards from it.  I don't know of a swinger close to me. 

Thank You Sponsors!