iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What The Heck?

Started by customdave, August 03, 2010, 12:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customdave

What the heck , you have to tighten the log clamp every time you make a cut? :D     ;D ;D. Just got a cant to the size I wanted so I could start knockin off 2x6s, started a cut noticed cant wiggle a tad & before I could react bam, cant jumped off the mill bed , took a big gouge out , knocked the band off before I could get her shut down :o, I forgot to tighten the log clamp oops! :) O well lesson learned, pulled the covers off band seemed to be ok, put her back on & went back to sawing, put the cant back on , trimmed er down & made some darn nice lookin 2x4s :D.. I was lucky I didn't hurt anything, just my pride.....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

tyb525

With the LT10 style clamp, when you get down to the last 4 or 5", it often does need re-clamping after each cut ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bandmiller2

Dave,Ill bet that cant had a slight bow in it,usally a cant is stable.One big advantage of hyd. clamps is their so easy your not tempted.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brucer

I got interrupted last month just after I had turned a cant. I forgot to clamp it when I started sawing again. It didn't move even a hair. 8 x 12 x 27'  ;D ;D.

(on the other hand, I've made some interesting spiral faces on 4x8's when I was cutting too fast and the clamp wasn't quite tight enough).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customdave

The cant was a 6" x 6" really dry lite spruce, I was planning 3 - 2x6s, & I'm not telling anybody that I do have the hyd clamp ;D

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

tyb525

It's no fun when that 6x10 cant you were planning on getting 9 6x's turns into only 4 or 5 due to the nice spiral cut. :D ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

paul case

the ez boardwalk mill has flip up cant dogs in the middle of the bed. i have used these to cut cants as tall as 10''x10'' into boards. no clamping. the best use for them is cutting live edge cedar. your odd log shape makes clamping a chore and if you can cut down some on one side with it clamped then you flip it and go with only the cant dogs to hold it.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!