iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rough cut for roof boards/sheathing

Started by Mad Professor, August 02, 2010, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Professor

Got to repair my Mom's barn.  Has horizontal ramdom width ( 8-12"), might be original chsetnut? looks like it.

Do I :

Use rough cut pine
rough cut hemlock
rough cut locust.......

4/4 , span is close to 2 ',.......leaning to hard wood.......

This should last but NOT a 100 year keeper......

jdtuttle

Pine or hemlock will be fine. Locust will work if you want to pre-drill every nail hole.
jim
Have a great day

Raphael

I'd lean towards the hemlock as it's something of the middle ground between ease of use and strength.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

shinnlinger

Hemlock is my choice also and around here it the cheapest if you were to buy it from the local mill.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

DBailly

I'll agree. Hemlock seams to be the better choice. I used hemlock as a replacement on a barn floor recently. It's a bit heavy when wet but its strong and fairly easy to use.

routestep

+4 for Hemlock. I used 4/4 rough cut hemlock for the roof and ship lapped the sides on my shed. Did the floors and loft decking with 8/4 stock, just nailed them down after they dried a bit. I had six, eight, and ten inch widths so I didn't have completely random widths and I just alternated the widths as I went up the sides of the shed. Worked out OK.

I made a rather long infeed/outfeed table to support a board as I cut the edge using a dado blade on my little Dewalt. The fence was long too, about sixteen feet. It took a while to cut all the edges for the ship lap, the shed is 24 feet long.

Thank You Sponsors!