iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

customer experience

Started by kderby, July 31, 2010, 11:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

In order to not hijack Qweavers thread I'll start a related one. 

I milled logs this week that were not much good at all.  They were for a customer that brought me the logs and wanted 4/4 lumber beyond what the logs could provide...seven inch trees make how many 1x6 boards???

I milled with good cheer because he was paying and they were his logs.  I  think he got a good lesson in recovery and value of lumber.  One of the logs threw some 1x12 boards the rest were runts.  I hope after watching the milling process he learned why 1x12 lumber is not cheap. His back noticed when we went from eight foot logs to sixteen foot logs. 

I was honest and blunt as we started.  In my experience the logs were not commercially viable.  We even found a 40d nail that wrecked a blade.  He now knows why I do not tolerate yard logs.  He learned a lot.  I got paid for the aggravation.  That process may not be  ideal but it was fair enough.

I can refuse to mill logs.  I can offer my best judgement about the potential value of the lumber.  I don't want to be a teacher and mill crap logs every day.  It does go with the territory.    Next time most of those logs will be firewood.  I do hope the customer learned a lot and had a good experience.

kderby

paul case

if i am busy milling good stuff,which aint happened in a while,i will tell the fella with the not so good uns that it may be a while, but i have never turned any down as of yet. i look them over good for hardware and tell the owner that '' if i hit metal  in them'' talk , they agree and i get them sawed n they pay. i just dont want someone to get mad at me cause i wont saw their favorite tree. i have a couple fellas bring me stuff to saw by pulling it onto a trailer with a comealong. it really hurt their feellings the first time they came to get their lumber and i showed them a 24'' x 9' cherry log they brought that had fence wire in the end of it. it never was even on the saw.
most folks wnt their stuff sawed for their own use and even if it aint perfect they still want it. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!