iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oops ...

Started by Brucer, July 31, 2010, 01:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

For those interested in aircraft or airshows, here's a couple of links to a pretty remarkable series of photos taken by reporter Ian Martens. He just happened to be watching a fighter pilot practicing for an upcoming airshow in Alberta, when he figured something must be wrong.

The first link http://www.cbc.ca/calgary/photogallery/index.html?dataPath=/photogallery/regions/calgary/gallery_3715/xml/gallery_3715.xml includes a series of photos he took. It takes a while to load on dial-up, but it's worth looking at:
1. Plane heading for the ground with the pilot and his ejection seat clear of the plane.
2. Initial fireball as the plane hits. The tail is still visible and you can see the engines flaming out.
3. The fireball completely engulfs the plane. This photo is the same scale as the previous one.

This link http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/07/30/cf-18-hornet-demonstration-team-shows-cancelled-crash.html has a larger scale version of photo #2.

The pilot survived with 3 compression fractures in his spine -- all caused by the force of his seat ejecting. Considering how close he was to the ground, he's pretty lucky to have survived at all.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

I suppose though, it's better to be closer to the ground than miles up when 9.8 meters/sec2 starts working on ya. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

those pics (Stills) were taking out of a video, it played on our local station the other night...   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!