iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mosquitoes

Started by Autocar, July 30, 2010, 06:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I am working a ridge top and the bottom ground is flood plain with a ditch cutting though it. I sware the mosquitoes were the size of baby ground hogs  ;D Then to top it off I had it in my head that I had all the trees cut on the east side of the creek so the last tree on that side of the ditch I threw in the skid trail. I cross to the other side and counted the remaining trees I have one missing. Here to find out I missed one in the southeast corner of the east side.   :D So tomarrow I will cut a few on the west side and save the loan tree for Monday.
Bill

SwampDonkey

Ain't seen much for biting insects in about 2 weeks. Back a couple months down bye a marsh they were in clouds and the first part of the month the deer flies were swarming like hornets on the hot sunny days. Even crawling into your protective goggles and trapped to buzz around your eye balls. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

davidlarson

I have a 2-acre pond on my place in western NC, where you would think there would be many mosquitoes.  In fact there are actually almost none, although there are many dragonflies.  I recently learned that dragonflies are natural predators for mosquitoes -- so when we have picnics or go swimming at the pond, we always say Thanks to the dragonflies.
David L.

SwampDonkey

Yes, and the air down there where we were working was full of dragonflies. I think both adult and larval dragonflies feed on lots of insects.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

I always like when the dragonflies show up, we always called them the air patrol :)
Too many irons in the fire

Burlkraft

This is the worst year that I can remember for mosquitoes  >:(  >:(  >:(

It was 90° the other day and I was standing in the middle of the yard away from all cover, the sun was out and hot and I was still gittin' bit by them.

It doesn't help that it rains every other day. Kinda like a rain forest here this year  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I've not figured out why, but we have far less mosquitoes this year, yet we have had the same type of weather as Burlkraft. Maybe they are just reserving their forces for an all out assault on the Pig Roast.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JohnG28

Maybe the wind has blown them East Jeff, because they have been brutal here all summer.  The humidity broke a couple of days ago here and is the first relief Ive noticed since spring.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

indiaxman1

Mosquitoes not so bad around here....now ticks and chiggers are another story.....ticks hanging on late into summer...got into mess of chiggers while on ATV...for the long term discomfort....I'll take the mosquitoes..and as long as we are discussing woods pests....don't forget the horsefly that bits in the middle of your sweaty back....price we pay for summer sun :)

Texas Ranger

Y'all need to come to Texas, we have three sizes here.  The little ones scout for the medium sized ones, who come in and immobilize ya, then they call the big ones in to carry you back to the colony
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CX3

Ya there it is.  The "bigger in Texas" thing, reminds me of something that happened here in the show me state a few years back .

An ol boy came up from texas to look at a mule I had for sale.  We were driving thru the country when a deer jumped across the road.  He said what was that.  I said a deer.  "Oh well it didnt look like a deer but theyre a lot bigger in texas" he said. 

Well a few miles down the trail a turkey flew across the road.  What was that he said.  I told him it was a turkey.  "well no wonder I didnt know what it was, theyre alot bigger in texas" he said. 

So i swallowed my pride and gas choked the chevy for a few more miles.  Around the next bend was a great big ol snappin turtle right on the yellow line.  What was that the texan hollered, and I replied "A TICK"
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Autocar

That's a good one ;D
Bill

ahlkey

This year has been one of the worse years for Mosquitoes and even the 100% deet solution that I use at times wears out within a short period of time.    Lately, after a full day of Mosquito bits I even reached for the Benadryl at night.  The problem has been the the wet, hot and humid weather Wisconsin has experienced in the last few weeks that provided the perfect breeding ground.  Just read an article that Wisconsin has 54 varieties of mosquitoes, but the ones out now are the floodwater type, which deposit their eggs in areas that will be flooded later and emerge typically after heavy rains. The article said, "It started in the middle of June, and it was like you turned a light on," and it "takes three to four weeks to settle down."  So far I see it getting worse and I have a serious reaction problem with bee stings as well as had  Lime disease twice but Mosquitoes are the WORST!   

Autocar

They were bad again this morning it was plenty hot plus humid, but the bees weren't as bad as I thought they would be.  ::)
Bill

SwampDonkey

Jeff doesn't like'm at the camp (nor do I) and does what he can to keep the door closed even if ya go for a quick trip to the car in the yard, and leave the door open the slightest. :D :D :D

ahlkey

Spent this week doing a propiconazole treatment deep into the back woods on a Hickory tree and in between the deet spraying observed well over a 100 Mosquitoes swarming. The more we sweat the more deet was needed!!!   Today it was even worse with temperatures at over 90 degrees, humidity at 88 and the heat index at 100 degrees.  With rain continuing every two days the Mosquitoes have hit the mother load this year!   :(

Thank You Sponsors!