iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blands

Started by woodbe, July 30, 2010, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

I have not been able to find the angle of tooth on a Wood Master C band. I have had some success with them. My mill is still under powered so some times the feed rate gets slowed way down on wide boards. I just cut some 36" White Oak slabs and was able to get them done. There was a little wave in them. So next I will take on the rest of the pile of Oak.
Back to the question, have any of you seen a deferens between Wood Master's and the Woodmizer Double hard blades? Would there be any improvement one over the other?  What has been you experience with blade angle verses HP? Thanks for any help you can give.

Woodbe

paul case

woodbe,
thats a nice pile o logs.those look like what we know in oklahoma as post oak.
i have seen the wave you got before probably. those wide slabs or boards are a band user. they do slow the cut. i have not tried the wm or the other bands but have had good luck with the timberwolf blades. the hook angle and horsepower do have quite a bit to do with it. someone will want to know the size and hp of your mill. what about blade speed? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I use nothing but WM blades, so I can't help you with your question, but I was wondering about the dark spot on the lower left logs in the second picture.  Is that a defect or possible metal in the log.  Is the color blue?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Woodby,a 36"cut in white oak is going to slow down any mill,it will put mighty diesels down on their knees.Wide bandmill cuts in oak require the band be in perfect shape.You need a machinests protractor to find your hook angle which should be less than 10 probibly 7 or 8 degrees with even set.I was having trouble with wide oak cuts on my bandmill, wavy ,called Art at timberwolf [suffolk] he sent me some 1" tooth space 1 1/2" bands with less hook cut like a champ.Do you sharpen your own bands?? nFrank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Frank, your up kind of early today. Your right less hook and a good sharp band in wide white oak. Mine only saw 24" between the guide rollers, 36" ouch.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

woodbe

All of the work has been done with a 5hp so far but there is a 10hp 3 phase waiting to go on. I would like to go bigger but the weight is a big concern. The 5hp works ok but gets hot and will shut down on tough cuts. That gets old real quick.

Magicman, the spots on the logs at the lower left are defects, small holes but not rotten. They range from 20"- 32" by 10' and they are quite straight. They came down near a house so I will have to keep an eye open for metal. I will start soon.

Woodbe

bandmiller2

Woodbe,by all means put that three phase motor on your rig,you will see a great improvement . I replaced a two cyl. wisconsin with a 15hp three phase motor theirs no comparison. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Ladylake Steve,retired now but most of my life up at 4:00 am just getting used to sleeping in til 5:30 still go to bed at 9:00 though. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!