iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost a special one

Started by jim king, July 30, 2010, 01:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

We were just notified that one of the principal characters of the Gringo community in Iquitos has died.  A sad day for everyone here.

This is a photo of him and my wife when he left three and a half years ago for his "Lost Battalion" reunion and a medical check up.  He never made it back.

One of the joys of living in places like here is we have our share of loose cannons and characters.  Most every one here has a story behind them and simply do not fit into the US style of life.  He was special.  Here is a short story about his life including his stint working as a prisoner building the Bridge over the River Kwai.

http://www.dawnontheamazon.com/blog/2010/05/14/our-friend-papa-dan/

Papa1stuff

I am very sorry to hear of the lost of your friend!

I have watched the Movie,  Bridge Over the River Kwai a dozen times ,it is a classic!

Thanks for the link!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

ely

great story, thanks for sharing that with me.

Ernie

Sounds like he sure had an interesting life, thanks for the link.  The world needs more real characters.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

LeeB

Sorry to hear of your loss. You can make new friends but never can you make a new old friend.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Warbird

I'm sorry to hear that, Jim.  From the write up you linked to, he sounded like a real character and someone it would be fun to know. 

Woodhauler

2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Magicman

I'm so sorry for the loss of a special friend, but thankfully we all have fond memories of them.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Sorry to hear of your loss Jim.

Just hang onto the memories.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!