iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Collect Pocket Knives?

Started by Shotgun, July 29, 2010, 09:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Just wondering if anyone here collects pocket knives or straight knives. In an older thread (2005) entitled, "What we collect," Phorester admitted to an informal collection of pocket knives. Anyone else?  I have a small collection of about 100, or so.  My focus is on Case Knives, although I have a number of brands.  I am a member of the Case Collectors Club.  I prefer users, but I have a number of new Case knives.  Some folks have hundreds.

I'm never without a pocket knife. Weird what people do,eh?    :)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

beenthere

Norm
I don't "collect" but I do have a collection of maybe 30.

Had a much-liked case pocket knife that I lost years back. Have searched for one like it, and even looked at some knife collections in museums and on-line to no evail.

But now like the Victorinox #53781 Electrician Silver.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yup, I seem to collect them just as fast as I lose them, but I always have one.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chris Burchfield

We stop by the Smoky Mountain Knife shop in Sevierville TN. when ever we go Gatlinburg.  Wife buys more than I do to give for gifts.  I'll get each of my son's on for Christmas.  Purchased a collector's case for each.  Damascus straight and folders.  Remington, Winchester, Hen & Rooster, and Case.  I'll get them what ever catches my eye.  I buy pocket folders for myself, just not real expensive ones cause I loose them before I sharpen the blade away.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

ely

i like pocket knives too, mainly users. dont have any knives that i wouldnt use. even an old parker that went thru the house fire still gets used.
even been known to make a few knives from time to time. not folders just straight knives.

Chuck White

I only have a couple of pocket knives.

The first one is a "cheapo".  My oldest son found it on the lake shore when he was 3 years old (that was in 1974).

The other was a "going away/retirement gift" when I left Alaska.  It is a fairly large 2-blade model with scrimshaw on walrus ivory side panels.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4genlgr

I have a few around, a couple of barlow's a couple of kampkings, one swiss army, and one big one with a spoon and fork and all sorts of stuff that has been in the family for ages it is not a swiss army. oh anda collection of stanley utility knives 4 at last count but they like to hide so when i need one i usually have to buy a new one.

my grandfather and uncle(mom's side) were pocket knife carriers. when i was a kid i asked my dad why he didn't carry one. his reply " when i plant one it never grows"

Burlkraft

Yes I collect them....I just don't know where the collection is at!

I lose a knife about twice a year. I just lost a favorite. A 3" kershaw rubber coated lock back.

It was a good knife. Held an edge nice.

I guess I'm in the market again...

Add anudder one to "The Collection"
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

I reached for my latest this morning.  Not there.  Went and checked the recliner.  Yup.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Shotgun

Yup, some knives are destined to get lost. Can't say that I've had that problem much though.  I have a Case Stockman that I carried for 32 years, except for 9 years that I had to wear a suit & tie. Still carried it nights and weekends. When I escaped from the suit/tie thing it went back into my pocket full time. I decided to retire it in 2004.  Now carrying a Schrade Stockman that my wife's folks gave me for Christmas in 2004. I have lots to choose from in my collection, but I tend to find a favorite and then stick with it. I do have dress up knives that go with me once in a while, just for fun.

I was in the old hardware store about 6 weeks ago that I bought my 32 year knife in. It was fun to be in the there again, and I still remember the day that I bought the knife. Store is in Munising, MI, on the shore of Lake Superior. Our spring fishing gang raided the store for some durn thing, and I couldn't help but look at the Case knife display. Guess that's what you have when you get old, memories.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

RavioliKid

I was going to say that I collect pocket knives, but I only have around 10. I have my green Girl Scout knife from the '60's, and the Swiss Army knife I got in Switzerland in '89, and a small collection of others from here and there.

RavioliKid

chain

I use to trade a few. We had a donut shop early-morning -knife-traders -club. Two old 'pros' use to bring in their knives in a special carpeted cigar box, or velvet rolled bag. They always had 'show' knives,"kissing crane' 'queens', those they would bait the rookie trader making a deal you could never afford but all the while they were after the rookie's knife if it was of value, trading maybe two or three old junkers for a good case or buck.

My wife had given me a three bladed yellow case for Christmas, darned if one of those old pros conned me out of it for two old shrades,one with a broken off re-sharpened blade, no less. The wife asked one day about the yellow case that, "havn't seen it in your pocket change lately?"  :'(I tried to make up a story as how I had lost it. But, she knew what happened.

Magicman

I sadly lost my yellow Case last month.  I carrying my late Uncle's stainless Schrade now.  So far, I'm really liking it.  I have several backups in the drawer.

Thank You Sponsors!