iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

“internet scavenging” pays off - Pulled the trigger - LT15

Started by Doug_D, July 28, 2010, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

My plan was to get a kiln built first and THEN maybe buy a sawmill.  But last Friday while on lunch I came across a sawmill for sale on craigslist.  I see them every now and then but usually don't give them a second thought.  This one caught my eye as it said "brand new".  I called the guy and sure enough, he and his father purchased it 2 years ago, but never used it.  His dad got sick and he's trying to get a new business off the ground and it's everything he can do to keep up with the farm in his spare time.  Long story short; $4k later and 8 hours of driving I am the proud owner of a new 2 year old woodmizer LT15.  He had two boxes of blades (20) and also an extra bed extension.  I actually got the honor of breaking the seal on the box the owner's manual came in....even got a woodmizer pen  8)

Every now and then, my lunch hour "internet scavenging" pays off  :)

Looks like the old Toyota is going to have to last another year!  

Oh crap...now I have to figure out how to use this....Anyone want to guess how long it will take before I accidently saw something on the mill?

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

tyb525

You haven't sawn till you have hit a backstop, log clamp, or both simultaneously :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bill Gaiche

Congratulations, hope you enjoy your investment. Now you can saw up some lumber for that kiln and save some more money toward that new truck.

paul case

my bet is you will accidentally saw some boards the wrong thickness or width before you saw up the mills parts .pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill Doug.  :)

Won't be long and you'll have something on it to saw.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Nice.  I can feel your excitement.  When you look back the $4k will be about enough for some blades, one accessory, and the sales tax on your next mill. 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KyTreeFarmer

Doug
Great find!! Thats how I found my LT15.....internet scavenging pays if you are the early bird. Congrats on your mill.

KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Doug_D

Thanks guys.  I am pretty excited to get out there and saw a little.  I hope to put it together this weekend and open my first log.  

In all the documentation, I found a coupon to have 10 of the blades resharpened for free.  Wonder if I can still use it?  That would be pretty cool.

Got to looking through some of the "woodmizer way" magazines that came with it and was impressed with the support they offer missionaries.  

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Doug_D on July 29, 2010, 10:17:55 AM
Thanks guys.  I am pretty excited to get out there and saw a little.  I hope to put it together this weekend and open my first log.  

In all the documentation, I found a coupon to have 10 of the blades resharpened for free.  Wonder if I can still use it?  That would be pretty cool.

Got to looking through some of the "woodmizer way" magazines that came with it and was impressed with the support they offer missionaries.  

I "found" my free coupon years later and Resharp(NY) honored it.  As I recall there was no exp. date on it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JBritt

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait til I get a sawmill, good find and great patience.  have a time with it!

Don K

I'll give you a tip. There should be a video in the box. Shows how to put the mill together and some sawing tips as well. Watch it first, the mill will go together easier. If you have a forklift, front end loader or a boom pole on the back of a tractor it will make setting the head on the rail by yourself easier. That sucka is heavy.

That's what I started with and sawed lots of wood. That was my stepping stone to a LT 40 hyd. You will enjoy that mill. Check out my gallery to see what your mill will handle. There are several current or previous 15 owners that can answer questions you might have as they arise.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

Congratulations on making a great find.  I look forward to sharing your sawing experiences.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tim/South

You are about to have a lot of fun!
I remember the first time I ran our mill. I was checking and double checking to see if I was doing it right.
Congratulations on the find. Good job.

stormyweatherman

doug, i'm a new lt 10 owner,

i was wondering what kind of wood you'd be sawing and if you had projects in mind.  i was torn between the 10 and the 15.  for what i needed i decided to get the 10, mostly for weight consideration.  my truck is small and getting older, and i need to move it around--sometimes long distance.  you got a great deal on the 15.  good luck with it.  the forestry forum is a great place to learn more about just about every aspect of milling.  people are knowledgeable and go out of their way to help with questions/problems.  hopefully you can share some more pics and stories as you get rolling.

ps.  i hit the top of my clamp on about my second day!  that blade came right up out of the cant and looked at me funny :o  just be careful out there and have fun with it!  best regards, stormyweatherman.
if experience is the sum of all my mistakes, then i must know a great deal more than i realize

Thank You Sponsors!