iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 28?

Started by Knute, July 27, 2010, 06:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

If any of you have a newer 28, how do you like the manual log turner and winch? Are they quite useful, or do you find yourself using some other means of handling. Mine hasn't come yet, so I am just wondering what to expect.

gator gar

When i need it, I'm glad to have it. It certainly comes in handy on those huge diameter logs. You have to winch it, but some of those logs just don't seem to turn with a cant hook.

Wallys World

Like Gator Gar said, when you need it, it comes in handy. I did add the rollers to the top of my log supports. I does help when using the turner on those big logs.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Qweaver

I love the turner but it does need the rollers to make it work well.  We use it most of the time.   Small logs I just grab the cant hook but for most logs it really helps.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Knute

Are the rollers an option I can get from Woodmizer? Cost?

Qweaver

They should come standard on the saw but you have to order them and pay shipping.  If you are buying a new saw have them installed and avoid shipping.  I think they were $50 plus shipping for two sets. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Slingshot

The LT-30 that I recently purchased had what I believe to be the same hand-winch log turner
as the LT-28. It worked OK but I didn't like the hand winching. I replaced the manual winch with a
12 volt electric and it  greatly changed my attitude on turning the bigger logs. I still need the rollers
on the log stops but by using the log-dog as support while recycling the turner it works great.

Here is a short video I made using it:  sling_shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHVKl11SIU

________________________-
Charles

Knute

Thanks for all the information!

carykong

I use my manual log turner on my LT 25 WM frequently if the log has a diameter over 20" and I am working alone. Powered my my right arm,advil,and black coffee.

timberjackrob

12v winch works great they should offer it as an option. i used a 2500 lb winch from northern toolcatalog it was about 80 bucks when it fails ill get a better one but so far so good.the rollers will be my next investment everybody seems to like them.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Thank You Sponsors!