iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety Training

Started by NMFP, July 26, 2010, 07:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

Hello Everyone:

I need to give a 20 minute short course in sawmill safety and wondered if anyone has any online sources of aquiring information for this course.  It is to be a very basic course such as personal protection equipment along with a few other small additional topics. 

I have a lot of information now but just looking for some additional information and resources to communicate to the audience.

Thanks and greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks!

NMFP 8) 8) 8)

terrifictimbersllc

Found this page at the Wood-Mizer site under "sawmills"....."mill safety".  you have to click on 1, 2, 3 etc to walk through it.

https://www.woodmizer.com/us/sawmills/millSafety/index.aspx
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

That's pretty good, I hadn't seen that safety section before.

I would also suggest you go through your owners manual and take note of the DANGER, WARNING, & CAUTION symbols and make kind of an outline of your presentation from them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

Sign on my brothers LT 40.
STEP  1  Engage Brain
That is the start of any job.  Safety always is a mind set.  Everything else follows that.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chuck White

Quote from: Cedarman on July 26, 2010, 08:11:25 AM
Sign on my brothers LT 40.
STEP  1  Engage Brain
That is the start of any job.  Safety always is a mind set.  Everything else follows that.

That's right Cedarman, USE COMMON SENSE.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I've mentioned safety in different posts several times.  From head to toe, we should always be protected.

My standard safety gear is always worn, even for one cut.  It includes hat, safety glasses, respirator/mask, ear plugs, gloves, safety toed boots, and I wear a welder's waist apron.  Chaps are a requirement before I crank the chainsaw.

I have no source for literature, but I believe that each of the above should be covered.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I think it very important to keep the worksite neat and pick up things you could trip over. Especially little pieces and strips of wood, end trimmings etc.   I saw a workplace safety poster once somewhere that I have searched for in vain and would like to find so I could put it in my shop and maybe even mount on the mill.   

It had a number of great lines two were something like this..... "a place for everything and everything in its place......organization is a hallmark of a safe workplace"   Anyone seen it would appreciate a link. 

Here's another thing especially if kids around:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Good point about kids.

I have found my clutch lever engaged a couple of times.  This alerted me that kids had been messing around the mill after I left .  A close look revealed small footprints in the sawdust.

Red flagging may help, but with kids  ???

The last paragraph in my Saw Contract deals with the customer's responsibility concerning workers, kids, and bystanders.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

When I leave the mill overnight, I move the head to the front,  lower it to the bed, and put an Abus motorcycle security chain around the back mast upright and main rail.  Also take my fluids with me. Also lower the loader arms to the ground.

Cedarman

I left a good bit of fluid near the mill when I customed sawed years ago, but I took the oil and gas home with me at night.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

I leave nothing but the mill, even when I know it would absolutely safe and I know that I will be back the next morning.  The last job was 2½ miles past a locked gate and everything went home with me.  Just habit.

I would hate for a cow or horse to step on my favorite ATF squirt bottle.  They do quite often leave their "deposits" scattered about, but sawdust makes fine litter box.

backwoods sawyer

I started putting the mill covers on when I leave the mill over night, and like magic man. I load up all of my gear after all it has a place in the back of the truck and everything goes in its own place. Neatness goes a long way towards safety, so I tight stack the tailings as well. You never know who or what will be climbing on the stack of tailings.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

wannasaw

A little late weighing in but one I really like; "safety and quality are both choices with many alternatives"
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Thank You Sponsors!