iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Islamorada Florida

Started by Mooseherder, July 25, 2010, 10:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

My daughter's friend who grew up down the street got married on Saturday down in the Florida Keys.
They rented a Beach House for the week and had the ceremony there also.  We had a nice time and saw a lot of neat things.  I wish I had taken more pictures of the woodwork and craftsmanship at the Hotel.  Don't know what I was thinking there. ::)
This picture is of an Iguana that was in a Coconut tree 40 feet in the air right by our balcony on the 4th floor.

This one is of a couple Log/Stumps that appear to have been here for a very long time.
They were on the Beach house property.  I don't know what they were.
The boats belong to the people in the Wedding Party.  Mini Lobster season starts mid week.

The Cake was on a Hardwood Slab.  The frosting was made out of cream cheese. ;)

This was at a Winery we visited in Homestead on the way back.

Then something I just had to stop and get a picture of on the Keys highway. :D

Tom

If you had seen a 60's hippy, wearing American Flag colored clothes, strumming his guitar and singing anti-establishment tunes about the village of idiots, ......that would have been my little brother, Van.  :D

fishpharmer

That's an impressive door. 

Nice pics, thanks Glenn. 8) 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Woodwalker

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 15, 2010, 03:35:16 PM
That's an impressive door. 

Nice pics, thanks Glenn. 8) 

lock set doesn't measure up.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Mooseherder

Notice the stick walls on both sides of the massive door. :D

fishpharmer

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 19, 2010, 09:22:06 PM
Notice the stick walls on both sides of the massive door. :D

They must have got a deal on the door..

Those fences look like some around here. :D

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

The Door was a gift from the Company who put up all their Pavillions and covered walkways.
This is a big area under cover.  The walkways are over water and filled with fish.
It's a pretty nice place to go to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0xjDoOthK8

fishpharmer

Now I gotta go.  They have fish ;) :D

ibseeker

That boat up on the dock looks interesting. There appear to be a set of davits (cranes?) to drop it into the water. I'd guess the dock is wide enough to pull a trailer onto, otherwise what would be the point.

I'd like to try that cake. I love cream cheese frosting...then again, I love most anything with cheese!

The Keys sounds like a really interesting place to visit, especially for the fishing.

What time of year do you suggest?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Mooseherder

Yes, the davits do drop the boat into the water but the dock isn't used to put a trailer on.
The dock is on the Atlantic side of the Ocean and is pretty common for the Florida Keys but not north of Key Biscayne.  The waves and tides would simply tear them apart north of the Keys.
There are Public Boat launches at inlets and on the Gulf side where you put in the water then are able to place your vessel somewhere or retrailer at the end of the day.  I don't think you can launch a boat from a trailer around these homes and it probably isn't even allowed.  The Wedding party had rented this Beach house for the week.
There are always events in the Florida Keys and I don't know which month is best but I would avoid the Lobster seasons.  Winter months are always nice to visit a tropical place but more expensive during their season.
Here is a link to some fishing events that may help you decide which months the anglers are fishing for certain species.  You can change the event field for other interests.
Bring lots of money. :D

http://www.fla-keys.com/calendarofevents/

Thank You Sponsors!