iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting beautiful Fir on our Peterson

Started by BandsawWarrior, July 25, 2010, 06:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandsawWarrior

Hey guys.  I just had to share these pictures of some wood we've been cutting on our Peterson.  We've had it a year but just lately really started working it...it blows my mind how well it works for cutting boards and such.  Anyways...this is some of the nicest wood I've ever sawn and I thought you guys might like to see some pictures!
cheers,
Tyler

Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

logwalker

That is some very nice CVG. We are to the south of you in the San Juan islands and unfortunately we don't get that quality of logs. Are you salvaging those logs?

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Autocar

Bill

pasbuild

Pretty plan looking, no figured wood that I can see, all pretty much just straight  grained

Of course I'm just kidding that is some outstanding lumber, I could use something like that for the doors I need to make.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

customsawyer

Are you going to add knots and such later. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DouginUtah

I notice that the stack is not stickered. Is it already dried?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

BandsawWarrior

lol add knots later...I like that.  Plane boring straight grain lol that's a good one too!

That was a killer log they're not all like that.  Prior I cut 10 pieces with shake and pitch...:)  It takes a lot of wood to make one lift like that.     

It's stacked like that so it doesn't dry out.  Slices better green.

Ty
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

Husband

8)

Who said all the good stuff is gone!!!

That is some real good looking timber.  :o
Glad to hear the ASM is working great for you and your Dad.

Did you get those shorts out of the dump pile and mill them up since I was over there?

i showed my brother the pics...he asked if you send him about 1000 bft for a sample to check the quality a bit closer :D ;).

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Carpenter

Wow!  That sure is some nice looking lumber!

BandsawWarrior

Thanks!  Yes we're getting our shorts under control.  I have a couple door guys who stop in.
I'll get back to you on that 1000 bft inspection lol!

Cheers and great to hear from you!
Tyler
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

brdmkr

Quote from: customsawyer on July 25, 2010, 07:18:34 PM
Are you going to add knots and such later. ;D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That is some pretty wood!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Magicman

I don't blame you for showing off that stack.  That is some beautiful lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

I'm happy for you but it makes me sad- never had anything like that on my mill and maybe won't- we work hard down here to get all our defects in when the trees are young so they will have lots of "character" when they get old- may be why I have so much character, hey?   :) :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

mcfcfan

Hi Ty,

Love those pics.
Great to hear you are using your ASM to its full potential.
How about some pics of your shed with the mill in it, I know the forumites would like those.
Great stuff 8) 8)
Cheers
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

paul case

defects = character?  no way overcoming defects does. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Wow!  Look at that vertical grain  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

I see some nice tight-grained CVG with good grain orientation milled to random widths. Finding the right log and then getting the most out of it is no easy task, as it seems like those big old logs have shake, multiple pitch rings along with all the other common defects. We are cutting tight-grained CVG with a 5 1/8" face and leaving them in 4" and thicker pieces for the door guys. Some days you can fill up the outfeed with CVG and others not see a single piece come out of those big old logs. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

terrifictimbersllc

BandsawWarrior, which peterson do you have? Do you have the slabber also and what's been your experience with it? dennis
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mad murdock

aviation guys would fight over that stuff!  looks like aircraft structural grade to me.  Anyone rebuilding a Stearman Biplane could use it as well.  Nice, nice , nice!  Thanks for posting.  I need to go clean the druel off my keyboard now ;D
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thats some very nice looking timber you have coming off your mill there Ty  ;) ;D 8) 8) Do you have an ongoing supply of logs coming in in that higher grade log also do they slice alot of boards overthere as down here we generaly saw slicing cants which are 4x4" to 10x10 to put through veneer slicers  ?

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

BandsawWarrior

Terrifictim we have the 10" ASM 3 phase electric...it works great for us.  We don't have the slabber option but we just use a 3120 and a 5' Alaskan sawmill. 

We get a mixture of some good logs with a lot of bad logs lol...
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

Meadows Miller

Gday

The Good the Bad and The Ugly   :D :D :D is the age old story for the Small Sawmiller aint it ;)

Regards Chris

customsawyer

Just checking to see if you got those knots put in that wood yet.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

I have plenty of knots if you run out and need a few  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Quote from: customsawyer on August 03, 2010, 04:34:22 AM
Just checking to see if you got those knots put in that wood yet.
Quote from: WDH on August 03, 2010, 09:03:13 AM
I have plenty of knots if you run out and need a few  :).

:D :D :D :D :D

You Reckon We should send Ty up afew Bags Fellas  ???  :D :D :D ;) but then theres the issue of instalation ill get Tim/banjo onta that one too I wonder how things are going his log n lumber stretcher  ??? ;) :D :D ;D ;D

Regards Chris

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: BandsawWarrior on August 03, 2010, 01:19:13 AM
Terrifictim we have the 10" ASM 3 phase electric...it works great for us.  We don't have the slabber option but we just use a 3120 and a 5' Alaskan sawmill. 

We get a mixture of some good logs with a lot of bad logs lol...
Your slabbing choice is that just due to infrequent need for slabs or pretty easy to cut softwood with the alaskan or what? thanks.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

BandsawWarrior

We don't cut slabs that often so Alaskan works just fine for us.  It's usually around 7min to slab a 12' long piece around 30" wide.  Can't complain about that.  If you were cutting a whole log into slabs it might be a bit much.  We just take one or two then start sawing boards again.
Tyler
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

terrifictimbersllc

B-W do you cut any hardwoods on the peterson 10" and how does that compare to cutting fir? more passes, slower, don't cut as wide etc would like to hear anything you can say about it. 

Thank You Sponsors!