iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I cut some old RR ties today.

Started by gator gar, July 24, 2010, 06:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

I agreed to cut some old ties today for a guy to do a project. If you haven't tried it, I wouldn't advise it. These things were hard as iron and full of rocks. I dulled two blades....One was a brand new blade, trying to get these ties cut. I finally gave up. It just wasn't worth it. I was compensated well for my efforts, but sometimes the money just isn't worth it. Not to mention the creasote dust settling on your skin and burning the fire out of you.

Magicman

Your reason is also my reason for not sawing bridge timbers or utility poles.  Once is enough.  Never again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

I use all of the above but leave them whole, their poison to a band or saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Buck

Word of advice, keep these secrets to yourself. If the epa folks get wind of it things will get sticky. I've seen it.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

DanG

I don't saw that kind of stuff for a different reason.  My mill doesn't throw sawdust all over me, and I can use old worn out teeth on them, but it contaminates my sawdust pile.  My sawdust goes to the organic veggie growers and they don't want that stuff in there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

gator gar

Quote from: Buck on July 24, 2010, 10:00:29 PM
Word of advice, keep these secrets to yourself. If the epa folks get wind of it things will get sticky. I've seen it.

I duct taped a pillow case around my exit chute and captured 95% of the dust. There was still enough floating around in the air to stick to your skin though. Just small little particles.  I don't think the EPA folks come this far back in the woods. You never know though.

weisyboy

recycled materials are a PITA.

i cut just over 50 power poles into 8x8s and 6x6s.

never seen so many nails/screws.

they were metal detected 3 times. and i still hit nails.

luckily none were treated.

iv got a job waiting where bloke wants 20-30 , 14 x 14 bridge pylons cut down into 10 x 10s.

the answer to railway sleepers is always NO! sitting in rock with coal dust and metal filings settling on them all day.   
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Buck

Gar, that pillowcase idea is good. I use a shop fan at the head end of my mill to keep cooler and also blow dust away.  I like my fan so good I dont ming lugging it and a generator with me.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

paul case

me too buck. i got 2 - 36'' fans right behind my mill ,even in the winter time i still run 1 to keep the dust gong away. i catch my sawdust in a 5 gallon bucket on the exit chute and it goes out in a burn pile on treated stuff and walnut since the pig farmers that get my sawdust dont want it.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

Gator Bands arnt much chop in sawing recycled timbers and will only do afew cuts at best before they loose their edge unless they are clean  ;) and most of us that saw alot of recycled timber run circs Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Inserts have allways been my preferance when sawing recycled timber on larger mills like the Karas and we are looking into to getting one for either the 8" or the 10" as Paul the costomer who purchased them with Dad  in the first place for Me to Use ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) wants me to resize about 300 ton of his stockpile std 9' ties and points ties upto 20' long buy the end of the year into 10x 5"s and is the main reason for the upgrade  ;) ;D ;D ill be doing this at $25 an hr cash for driving the mill and he looks after all the debolting and imput costs but with the teeth only costing only $2.20ea from Lucas mill  i reckon ill be sticking with retipping them at my uncles saw shop with the retiping jig as we dont hit anythng verry often on his timber  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

In the real dirty stuff you get maby 200bft per sharpen and upto around 425bft 1m3 if your remilling stuff like warf piles sawing square posts and larger sections

Asfar as sawing timber with Creo and Cca treatment I have probobly sawn around 1 to 200 ton of the stuff in the past and try to avoid it these days  ;)
Allup I have done well over 3000 m3 1.275 mmbft of warf piles, bridge timbers and salvaged stuf over the years  ;D ;D 8) 8)

its different when your sawing old sleepers (ties) it in the early morn or late evening and even though your runing water on your saw you can still see the sparks fly  ;) :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ely

that dust will settle in your lungs also :-X then you will wish you had an epa fine to pay. i have seen people not recover from stuff as simple as sawing those ties and poles. in my opinion the ties are worse of all because they were from a time when they used God only knows what in the mixture to treat them. those ties last 10 times longer than any high line pole ive seen.

gator gar

I won't ever saw another tie in my life. I got out there today and changed the blade and noticed all that creasote caked up under the drive wheels. When I hooked my mill up, to bring it to the barn to blow my filters out and clean the mill, I noticed  a bunch of small rocks, right beside the fender on the frame of the sawmill. Looked like someone just poured a double hand full of them on there. They had to have come out of the cracks in the ties, as I sawed. Nope, no sir!!  I'm done with RR Ties.

Buck

Nothing like that little experience. somebody can tell you but it just not the same.

boman1

I had a friend bring me 25 12x12 creosoted timbers he recovered from an old seawall. He wanted 3x12 from them. I was really surprised at how easy they cut! I cut with a mask and long sleeve shirt. He had removed all metal ....except for the very last one..he missed a washer that was imbedded in the timber. There were a few shells attached to the timbers . May be since they were under water all these years made them easier to cut....

gator gar

Quote from: boman1 on July 26, 2010, 10:37:50 PM
I was really surprised at how easy they cut! I cut with a mask and long sleeve shirt.

Boman..... This guy wants to do business with me bad. He is talking about eventually getting up to a tractor trailor load at a time of these things. The only way that I might consider cutting them, would be with a circular saw. Since I don't have access to one and you do, I'll give him your number.

Thank You Sponsors!