iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats The Longest you have sawed on your mill ?

Started by Autocar, July 24, 2010, 01:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

You have sawed on your mill ? Once I had a neighbor buy a old rail road tressel. It was yellow pine and fir ,but not real fimilar with fir,but know it wasn't western red. The timbers were 8x30's something, we sawed 44= 27 foot 2x8's on a Saturday morning. The fir was nice and light but the yellow pine would make your eyes bug out when you took them off the end of the rollers  ;D Those 8x 30's were bolted togather making a huge timber. There was creosote all the way though the boards and it was summer boy did the shed smell. The out side chuncks had alot of inbeded gravel but after cleaning them a little they sawed like a dream.
Bill

Chuck White

Now, those were some cuts! :o

The longest I've sawn on my LT40 is 20'.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NWwoodsman

I cut 32 footer now and then, could go out to 40 but haven't needed too. My Modil Deminsion gets a little bouncey on anything over 20.
Jason

sigidi

I've done 7.9m (26') bearers and beams a few times in good old Aussie hardwood :o they make ya eye's pop when you pick 'em up ;D so my 3x6 bearers and 2x6 beams weighed 102kg (224lb) and 68kg (150lb) respectively - no offsider for those guys either ;)

Here is a 7.9m log next to the mill...

and here is how much space I had at each end of the log when rolling it into my mill...

I don't get that particular now with log rolling, now I just slide one endframe out the way and roll the log in - much easier 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

bill m

I sold some logs to a timber framer last winter that were 53 ft. and he sawed them on his wood mizer. I did not get to see them being sawn but saw them when they were done. 12" x 12" x 53 ft.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Chuck White

Quote from: bill m on July 24, 2010, 09:35:44 PM
I sold some logs to a timber framer last winter that were 53 ft. and he sawed them on his wood mizer. I did not get to see them being sawn but saw them when they were done. 12" x 12" x 53 ft.

That can be done easy enough, but if you're going to do more than one or two of them, you should splurge and buy extensions for the sawmill.

You can buy extensions for a Wood-Mizer so that length is no obstacle!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ironwood

40' x 5" x 40+" on a chain mill, one cut when the chain got "marginal" took seven tanks of gas in the 394's ::)

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Meadows Miller

Gday

The longest timber i have sawn on different mills over the years looks like this  ;) You gotta love doing them as i have always found it different and a small challange which gives you a nice break from std sawing jobs  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Jonsered 6000+ Band that i used in the log building business was around the 15.8 meres or 52' long mark for log building components

Lucas Mills on a 6-18 i have gone upto about 12 meters or 40' with a set of 6 and 8 meter tracks (but could have gone out to about 14m or 46' easy ) cutting hardwood,spruce and oregon building beams upto 2' square
And on the 10-30 atm im sawing 8.5 meter 28' long and have about 20m3 sawn or 8500bft to go on spotted gum bridge beams to go on my current job in spotted gum and ironbark in those lengths Allan im pretty lucky there mate i just slide the top connector pipe ou of the sizing and use two 2 ton slings on the florks of the loader and lift the logs in and the 10x10" or 10x8" beams out  as im getting two two of them plus a 10x6 or somthing like that out of the top cut out of ea girder Mate

Karas and Laimets both peak out at around the 9.2  meter 30' mark but you can push alittle longer 3 to 4' on an 8 meter table but its more of a pita than anything else  an intresting to say the least  ;) :D ;D 8) as you have to pich the log with the turner and then pull the carriage  back while the logs in the cut  all with your  still spinning as the hyd for the feed works mill runn of the saw shaft on most of them ;) :D ;D

the longest ive done on a 16' three knee Tess digital sizing carriage was about 28' long cypress posts and beams  from memory but i also had to skew the logs in through the opening between the posts on the mill shed as they where about 24' wide and thats about the longest ive done on any carriage over the years  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

customsawyer

I've reached out to 50' on a few logs but I have 44' of sawmill if I had to do very many of them then I would just hook up my extra 12' of ext.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

I've sawn 21' on the LT40. You have to get them on the mill just right. There is another LT40 about a half-mile through the woods from me with a 24' extension at a timber frame shop. I saw some long stuff being cut there last November.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Quote from: paul case on July 25, 2010, 10:04:18 AM
18' but dont tell anybody .pc

Ill tell everyone Mate  ;) :D :D :D 16's are what i lke the most  botu any log will do Me Mate  ;)  :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

nas

I sawed a 28' walnut for a timberframe on my 21' LT40.  If I had to do more than a couple I would buy an extension.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fuzzybear

48' on 32' track.... it wasn't fun. There were 4 of them that needed cut on the taper for cabin logs. Luckily the customer had a crane to help load and slide the logs back to finish the cuts.  I had to add extra bottle jacks along the length of the logs to keep the sag out to get an even level cut.  realigning the logs after the first section was cut wasn't as hard as I thought.  Still took half a day to do the 4 logs. 
  The guy was so happy he brought me 4 more that needed split in half.
I helped a friend 2 side 60' with an alaskan mill. The old 2100 was put through the paces that weekend. 
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

scsmith42

The longest that I "have" sawed was 44'.

The longest that I "can" saw is 58'. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pineywoods

I did a couple of 30 foot 12X12 on a standard woodmizer lt40, BUT I had a fork lift and two brawny redneck helpers
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Autocar

Man alive some of you guys sawed some long peices  ;D
Bill

customsawyer

You notice no one is asking how long of a story some of us can tell. :D
Might be a neat contest but would take a lot of space.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

This one about 22' I think.  The next one after that was 25 feet.  LT-40.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

ok i will bite.maybe youall said before but i just gotta know how are you doing this on mills that dont cut that long? pc
pc

beenthere

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 25, 2010, 09:38:39 PM

What was sawn out of that 22' log? 

With the large knots and multiple sweep, I'm curious what wood product it produced.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

paul, no it wasn't one log, it was more like 10 18" walnuts :D. I've cut 13' on my LT10, max length is 11' (had to do some real maneuvering) (I wish WM would've spent the extra few $$ to make it 12'  :( ::))
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Your Doing Well Ty  ;) ;D ;D just knock some extensions up yourself for the lt10 there have been acouple of good threds on the subject of lt15s over the last 12-18 months Mate  ;) I use to build mine in pairs 12' sections ea for the Jonsered as it only had a 16' cut as std with a 20' track  ;)

Quote from: tyb525 on July 25, 2010, 02:17:11 PM
Probably about 10 hours straight ;)
;) :D :D :D Thats a good number there too Mate   ;D  ;D 8) any longer on a consistant basis and your starting to burn yourself out  Mate  ;) the longest run of Sawing ive done in one days about 16hrs plus about 1hr of saw maint the most hrs ive done in a weeks been the 110hrs but that was working 7 days a week running kilns in hardwood mill as well as being leading hand on the second shift Which kept me running around from about 6.30am till 9.30pm then a boiler check and a steam change at 12 to 1 am in the moning which took up another hour or so if all went well  ;) all for a whoping $650 clear a week  :) :) ??? ::) ::) those barstards  got their moneys worth outa me alrite over the 18months i was there  ;) :D :D :D

Auto its got more to do with not using the words. No I cant saw somthing that long  ;) often enough Mate  ;) :D :D :D

Jake i think preople dont question  because we are all strait shooters  ;) ;D 8) and theres no point being a Bs artist on here anyway  ;) 

I Reckon we all would be pushing to beat the longest piece of timber ive seen in a pic that came from a mill the West Coast or B.c  about the turn of last century which was 110' long sawn on a manual carriage  :o :o :) :) ;D 8) 8) ill try diging up the pick as i think its in one of my old industry mags  ;)

Rgards Chris

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: beenthere on July 26, 2010, 12:29:59 AM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 25, 2010, 09:38:39 PM

What was sawn out of that 22' log? 

With the large knots and multiple sweep, I'm curious what wood product it produced.
It was a heart timber plus 1x side boards, can't remember for sure but think  it was an 8x10. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: paul case on July 25, 2010, 10:06:34 PM
ok i will bite.maybe youall said before but i just gotta know how are you doing this on mills that dont cut that long? pc
On the first and second faces you cut as long as you can then cut off the slab at the end of this cut.  On the third cut the first cut is on the bed rails and after the saw gets to the end, you back up the head, then raise the rollers just a hair above the bed and scoot the log forward, then finish the cut. same for the 4th side. Can scoot it on the LT40 because the last bed rail is movable so there is a fair length where the uncut bump can hang off the end below the other bed rails.   Then you go back to faces 1 and 2 and finish making these cuts by scooting it forward in the same way again.  Best if you're doing this on hourly basis.   :)

bandmiller2

Boath my mills will only cut to 18',by design,I tell people 16' max and prefer nothing over14'.Its not my eyes bugging out I'am worried about.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ljmathias

Shoot, I can't add up how many miles of logs I've cut--- oh, you mean in one log!  Some of us do things in small chunks, others all in one fell swoop.  Was a thread on here a while back on cutting really long boards- like, hundreds of feet maybe (course the old memory ain't what it used to be but it's what I've got).  Might want to look up that thread- there was a lot of enthusiasm for setting a new world record for longest board from a single tree, but seems like misplaced effort to me- I'd settle for a whole whack of short ones!   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

terrifictimbersllc

Longest I ever cut was about 11 hours think I charged for about 8 because was taking a while to pick up one foot then the other.  ::) ::) ::)

mcfcfan

Hi all, we milled the mast for a yacht restioration project.The final mast was 14 meters in length (about 43 feet) But we actually milled a longer piece so they had some to play with.
There are several pictures in the attachemnt, the yacht is called The Ted Ashby

Y:\http://www.petersonsawmills.com/press_articles_general3.htm

General Marketing\Pictures\Promo pics\Random\Mast Pics

Cheers
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

mcfcfan

Quote from: mcfcfan on July 26, 2010, 08:09:49 PM
Hi all, we milled the mast for a yacht restioration project.The final mast was 14 meters in length (about 43 feet) But we actually milled a longer piece so they had some to play with.
There are several pictures in the attachemnt, the yacht is called The Ted Ashby

Y:\http://www.petersonsawmills.com/press_articles_general3.htm

General Marketing\Pictures\Promo pics\Random\Mast Pics

Cheers
Lee

oops attachments did not work will try again. :) :) :'( :'(

mcfcfan

Bibbyman

Anyone can make good beams out of a perfect and straight log.  It takes a good sawyer to get something out of the middle of a log like that.  I wonder if the beam staid straight after it was up and dried a couple of years.

Here is Mary sawing 2x10s 28' long.  She sawed quite a few by herself.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 26, 2010, 08:19:01 PM

Anyone can make good beams out of a perfect and straight log.  It takes a good sawyer to get something out of the middle of a log like that.  I wonder if the beam staid straight after it was up and dried a couple of years.

Here is Mary sawing 2x10s 28' long.  She sawed quite a few by herself.
Thanks.  I think Customer called me "Magic Man" !!!  (that was before my FF days, before I knew I couldn't accept such a compliment.) ::) My compliments to Mary.  Looks very nice.   I don't know what happened to the beam, sorry. 

backwoods sawyer

I cut a 34" small end by 36' just last week, coarse that was on the Mighty Might and it can handle 40'.  I have cut some 60 footers into 20 footers so that they would fit on the woodmizer, if that counts. :-\
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

Longest timber on a 21' Wood-Mizer -- 24' long 8x14.

Last year I had an order that included 20 - 24' long timbers so I bought a 6' extension.
Longest timber on a 27' extended Wood-Mizer -- 32' long 8x12 ???.

This year I've got an order that includes 39 - 30' long 4x12 so I bought a second 12' extension.
Longest timber ordered this year (using my 33' extended Wood-Mizer) -- 35' long 8x12.

I'm not winning here, folks.

tyb525 -- it doesn't matter how long your mill is, you'll always get someone asking for a bit more, and you'll always be tempted to try it :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

paul case

i have a way of handleing those folks that want more than i can cut. if they cant cut it in 2 lengthways  find someone else like brucer or fred or.....          .  i gave my buddy fred's number to a fella that called wanting some just longer than i can saw. it turned into a few hundred hundred dollar job. fred offered to pay for the ad. i wouldnt let him and fred has been buying stuff from me ever since . i even get to help him with some bigger orders than what he can fill and we get it done. that was the start of a good relationship. pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!