iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newbie questions

Started by craigc90, November 03, 2003, 06:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc90

Ok second day of cutting and I have a few questions that are probably stupid but here it goes. What causes the blade to dive into a log kind of dish the face of the cant?  This was the third log I sawed with a new blade. Started into a 25 inch maple and I could see the blade sucking in. The log had a bow to it and I had the arch facing up frome the table slicing the top of the arch off.Also how do you know when your band blade is tight enough?

MemphisLogger

You mighta hit on your problem already Craig. When I first got my mill the blade tension indicator was shot and I was running my band too loose. It wanted to follow the grain of the wood everytime.

What kind of mill do you have and what sort of tensioner does it have on it? What sort of guides does it have?

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Tom

Yep, I would suspect blade tension.  Although a mis-set or dulling blade can produce this in a very hard wood. Lack of support on the back of the blade can do it too.  (it causes all kinds of unpredictable problems. )   Your manufacturer should be the number one place to find the proper blade tension and how to set it.   Don't start doing what everybody suggests until you talk to them.  There are company's out here that will tell you anything to sell you one of their blades. :D

craigc90

It is an American Bandsawmill and it has manual sliding guides with roller bearings on them. The log was a little crooked so the guides were almost all the way out. The mouth of the mill will only cut up to a 30 inch log and this log was about 25 inches. I have no paper work for this mill and just trying to teach myself .The blade adjustment is just a big allthread with a t handle connected to the bandwheel.I am going to try and contact the builder and see if I can get any kind of manual.

Tom

Will "only" cut 30 inches wide?   Man that's a big log.  I still suspect blade tension.  If the log was crooked then you were combatting grain too.  

When the blade enters the log straight and exits it straight but dishes out in the inside, then the only thing that could cause that is the blade.  The guides, wheel crowns etc. are doing their job.

solidwoods

Sounds like the mill us used?
If so, it needs to have the blade allignment checked also.

Engine Off
Blade On, with normal operating tension.
Set blade guides so they don't touch the blade.
Slowly spin blade/wheels, check that blade tracks on wheel and it's teeth hang off the wheel the ammount reccommended my Mfr. (somewhere around "the bottom of the gullet is just off the wheel")

Adjust the maching so the blade tracks on the wheels.

If feed speed is too fast diving can happen also (sharp blade or dull blade)
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!