iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cheap blade sharpener

Started by tazz, July 23, 2010, 11:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazz

I believe this has been discussed before, but hear goes...I bought one of the sharpener/setter combos off of Ebay for about $500. I have sharpened a couple of blades but they don't perform very well. I would expect a properly sharpened blade to perform as good as a new one, (the key word is "properly"). The main issue with this device is that, as best I can figure, it only sharpens the face of the tooth. Does anyone use one of these and could you give me some tips on how to sharpen so I haven't wasted $500?

ely

do you have a picture of it? the blades off my cooks saw sharpener saw better than new.

tazz

brdmkr

Tazz,

Have you contacted the maufacturer to see if they can offer any assistance or if they will refund your money if you can't get it to work?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

tazz

I thought I would give the forum a try first. I think it may be more operator error than anything. help_me

ely

looks to me like it works just like a chain saw sharpener. if so its only going to sharpen the face of the tooth. will be ok for a time or two but after that you will have probs with the bands breaking.
unless there is a way for you to manually advance the band while you are grinding it. if so you could possibly get good enough at free handing the bands thru the rig.

brdmkr

Quote from: tazz on July 23, 2010, 12:55:02 PM
I thought I would give the forum a try first. I think it may be more operator error than anything. help_me

I try here first too ;)  However, even if it is operator error, they ought to be able to help you out.  They will also be aware that you have an issue. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Magicman

Quote from: tazz on July 23, 2010, 12:38:19 PM
Sorry, I couldn't get the pics to upload  

Go to the picture posting tutorial.  Pictures must first be placed in your gallery.  After that they can be easily posted.  Use the "Java Uploader" below the posting window.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

I know nothing about this sharpener. Did look at web site, good luck. http://www.precisionsharpeners.com/w-07model.html

Slingshot

There is a series of videos on You-Tube of 'Charlie' explaining the use of these sharpeners.

Here is a link.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV724_pkwcY&feature=related

______________________---

paul case

i use a sharpener like that. mine was a little cheaper and i bought it from ez boardwalk, a forum sponsor.
the stone must be shaped like the tooth face and back of the gullet. the stop must be set to not let the stone hit the bottom of the gullet. and the angle must be about what a new blade is. i dont try to shape or clean the gullet when i sharpen because it is very tricky to do without distroying the blade. when you set the stop on the advance the stone needs only to barely touch the face of the tooth.
i generally set every 2 or 3 sharpenings and i  usually get 6 to 8 sharpenings out of a blade before it breaks.got as many as 10m out of a couple blades. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tazz

Thanks for all the info and the youtube link, very helpful just hard to sit through all the "uhh". ::)

paul case

he uh does uh....  say...uh... a,....uh lot uh    ....   dont ....uh he.   if he watched his own videos he may get to where that bothered him.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!