iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poormans' Laser setup

Started by music_boy, November 03, 2003, 05:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

Give a lazy man the job and he will figure out the easiest way to accomplish it. Was looking,  o.k. drooling, over the wm laser sighting works. I had bought a Sears laser level to do a drop ceiling downstairs. (39.95) Figured, laser is a laser is laser. (gertrude Stein I believe) So. I played with it a little and you can see, more or less , what it does.  The magnetic base holds the laser in position on the blade guard. I know, lots of vibration, but,,, could jig it so all it needs to be is repositioned. What the photo doesn't show well, is the light crosses  the blade teeth evenly. So, the laser shows where the teeth will bite the log. ;D  Sears provides a set of red gogles to enhance the laser light in bright conditions. It all looks good in the garage at night with out the mill running,,,, :Pbut......do ya'll think it will work. Seems like it to me ;D
Rookie rick steppin out

Tough to see but the laserr runs across the (crooked) cantin front of the blade. My Belgian Malinois loves the laser too. But for different reasons.
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

DextorDee

Whats the latest ? does it work? ???
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

music_boy

It worked for the first cut. Kept the engine off, lined it up and set the head heighr. The laser marked the front and about 12 inches down the  log. I checked and the blade went right on the laser. As soon as the engined reved up, it vibrated out of position. Will need to secure it or make a shelf that is affected by the engine vibration.
     For 39.95, I think it will do the job for me. ;D
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

DextorDee

Cool, think I'll try one on my mill , need all the help I can get..
thanx for the reply
Ken
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Kevin

Poor'r mans set up is a measuring tape.
Measure the band off the bed off the start end of the log and then measure off the bed on the other end and that's where the band will exit your log.

Minnesota_boy

I use the "poor man's" a lot on the longer logs.  I can guage the short ones pretty well by eye, but past 16" I blow it too often.  It's a long run up and back on a 30" log, but at least I'm right on the money when the saw gets there.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

music_boy

I figure, it's a tool I already had, and if it works, that's at least one less trip to the end of the log ;D 8)
Rick

AtLast

I bought a laser for a gun and made a mount that goes on the roller arm .....its just a dot but allows me to site the cut and where its gunna be...works well..the 1 problem I had was adjusting......at first getting the dot to be consistant at differant distances was hard....I had to level and plum the laser to the mill......but eventually it worked...its mounted in such a way that it does not interfear with anything....and VERY secured so that vibrationisnt a factor...as much as we cut I recheck it every so often....and OST the time dont need it....but when I do its there and very handy.......I like your idea Music Boy....good thinking....once you secure it I think it will be an assest....as you get more familuar with your mill youll start to not need it...but like I say it is nice to have when ya want it....keep up the good work

Thank You Sponsors!