iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS440 stihl

Started by Buck, July 22, 2010, 08:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck

ok guys, the chain oiler is adjustable. Anybody feel like walking me thru it?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

boobap

If you want to PM me your email...I will send you the Factory Service Manual, and IPL.  8)

Rocky_J

Turn the saw over. There will be a recess with a medium size screw head. There will also be a symbol of an oil drop with a plus and minus sign on either side of it cast into the bottom of the saw above the screw. It will only turn about a half turn. Turn it all the way clockwise to maximize oil flow. Yep, that's all you get.

JohnG28

Im not familiar with the 440, but I have a 361. On the 361 there is a small hole on the bottom of the saw with a screw inside.  There is a marking next to the screw hole that shows which way is less flow and which way is more flow.  Id take a look there for it.  I just cranked my 361 to max flow and left it there.  Hope it helps you.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

boobap

JohnG28,

You are correct in saying that. My 440 is the same. I normally just leave it turned all the way up. It get messy, but a 30" b/c gets pricey!

Todd

JohnG28

Guess you type faster than I Rocky, just looked back.  I dont get too much mess with mine cranked up, but Ive heard others say the 361s oiler is stingy.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

That oiling stinginess is a pain in about everyones back sides .From what I gather the lack of oil is something mandated by the EPA .Evidently the EPA views adaquately oiled bars as the same as the wreck of the Exon Valdez  or something . If that be the case though then they must think an old McCulloch is akin to the gulf oil spill . :D

Kind of silly in my opinion .I would almost venture a guess that if every saw were ran everyday in this county it wouldn't be as much oil as the 30 mile section  of insterstate 75 that goes though this area recieves in one day dripping on the road .

Buck

Thanks guys, that saved a lot of internet surfing.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

SawTroll

Quote from: Buck on July 23, 2010, 07:22:32 AM

:P User manuals sometimes is nice to have, and it isn't unmanly to save them and look in them!  :D :D
Information collector.

Cut4fun

Quote from: Buck on July 23, 2010, 07:22:32 AM

Here is the 127 page MS440 owners manual to go with the IPL and service manual boo should have sent you already  ;).

http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/MS440_Manual.pdf

Rocky_J

With about 115 pages of generic basic safety info and about 4 pages of basic info specific to that saw model.  :D

boobap

:D hahaha, +1 ^^^^  :D Oh that is so true, and annoying. But I wonder if they did that in an attempt to keep their name off of the "Darwin Awards"?!?!  :D

JohnG28

A lot of it sure is pointless and redundant to an experienced user, but Id guess its there to keep their name off of any legal letterheads under defendant.

Buck

one of these days I'm gonna buy a new saw and get those books instead of my alternative method  :D

Cut4fun

You guys need to learn how to use the owners manual like a man oh thats right a real man dont look at instructions  ::) ::).  
Look at page 2 and see what you need. Hmmm page 40 how to adjust chain oiler. Skip to page 40  :D :D.   ;)

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on July 23, 2010, 03:00:44 PM
With about 115 pages of generic basic safety info and about 4 pages of basic info specific to that saw model.  :D

Sorry to say, that isn't too far from the truth!   ::)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!