iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar privacy fences are in and treated pine are out...I hope

Started by Larry, July 22, 2010, 11:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

SPRINGDALE — White picket fences are still welcome in Springdale, but some privacy fences built of treated pine may not be allowed soon.

Planning commissioners suggested changes to the city fencing ordinance Tuesday, including a requirement that privacy fences facing public property be built from cedar or redwood instead of treated softwood lumber.

Treated lumber would still be allowed for fences between yards or facing other private property.

"This won't fix some of the problems we already have, but we need to set a minimum standard at least for the new ones," said Patsy Christie, city planning director.

Treated-lumber fences generally don't last as long or weather as well as cedar fences, said Fadil Bayyari, chairman of the city Planning Commission. A city-built fence made from treated lumber along Don Tyson Parkway is a perfect example of how they can become an eyesore, Bayyari said.

"It already looks terrible. I wish it had been done differently," he said. "I don't like to tell people how to build things, but we've seen what happens when we built junk out of our own budget."

The changes won't affect other types of fences, such as wrought-iron, wood rail or chain-link. Barbed wire fences are only allowed in agricultural zones when needed to confine animals.

Eliminating the treated-lumber option would cost a homeowner about $2 to $3 more per foot of fencing, said Roger Piper, general manager of Carnahan-White Fencing. The cedar fencing will last longer, assuming it's properly maintained, he said.

"I'd personally prefer a cedar fence over a treated fence, because cedar has a good look and a natural resistance to rot," Piper said. "That said, there's always a cost consideration. Cedar isn't cheap."

Some fencing material looks like cedar but is really a treated-wood product, Piper said.

"We sell some stuff that would pass for cedar unless you looked at it up close," he said.

Residents will have to get a city permit to build a fence abutting a public right-of-way. That will be the easiest way to enforce the materials regulations, Christie said.

Other fences won't require permits.

On a larger scale, commissioners also suggested requiring developers to complete fences or walls around subdivisions as a condition for final plat approval. It would ensure fences are built uniformly, rather than piecemeal fashion by the buyers of each individual lot.

The changes were discussed during the Planning Commission's work session Tuesday. They will be reviewed again at the commission's regular meeting next month.

Springdale Morning News 7/22/10

ERC competes well in this market compared to cedar from the far north.  Redwood is not even in the same ball park as far as prices.

Looks like an opportunity for the small sawmill if the ordinance passes.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cedarman

Our 3'd truck load of cedar is heading to Missouri Sunday afternoon. (They don't have cedar trees in Missouri ;D ;D) They want more.
We sent about a dozen to Knoxville Tn a few years ago.
I have been promoting cedar fencing for years.
No better way to help the cedar mills than sell more fencing.
Thanks Larry, you made my day.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

customsawyer

I am a big fan of cedar what ever it is used for but when I here of a some form of gov. telling some one else what to do on there place I bow up for some reason.
Stepping down off my soap box.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Banjo picker

Quote from: customsawyer on July 22, 2010, 05:56:59 PM
I am a big fan of cedar what ever it is used for but when I here of a some form of gov. telling some one else what to do on there place I bow up for some reason.
Stepping down off my soap box.

same here.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tug Hill Walt

I was told long ago that treated pine was for underground. To much time aboveground and the boards turn into graham crackers. (rough, brown and brittle)
And it really doesn't do well with rock salt. Salt bins made with treated  fail

paul case

i peronally think these folks feel  obligated to make new rules since they can.  i love cedar fence but why tell someone  what kind of fence they can build? looks to me like don tyson would be able to help them out and buy some of larry's boards to fix his fence so these folks would be happy with the way springdale looks.

btw sometimes i dont like it when my wife tells me what to do.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Every time these self-important people meet we loose some of our freedom,I'am sure the permits are not free.Grumpy Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cedarman

Governments are always going to make new rules and change old ones.  The wise person postions themselves to take advantage of the new rules.  Rules against treated wood help my business.  It doesn't mean I agree with the rules.  I would rather there be less rules.  But complaining about them gets me nowhere unless I work twith the officials that can change the rules.  Those of us that saw cedar have an opportunity to maximise our sales to the detriment of those that sell treated wood.

At one time our government made it against the law to hold gold other than jewelry.  Scofflaws saved as much gold as they could and hid it.  Many years later gold went from 35 per ounce to over 800 per ounce.  Some people made a killing by taking advantage of the laws.  Those that bought gold as soon as they could made a mint.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

customsawyer

I understand what you are saying Cedarman. I just wish the gov. would stay out of bus. and let the product and the producer show what is best, rather than the gov. telling us what to do. I do agree with the fact that as long as we have law makers in office they feel it is there duty to make some.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

laws or problems?

i used to grow chickens ,about 700,000 per year . in 1998 the state came up with litter laws to regulate the amount of phosporus that could be land applied to try to controll runoff. they made it so we had to keep records and do soil tests and go to classes. 10 years of that and the water is no cleaner. they regulated poultry farms but anyone could buy litter from out of state and haul it in and no paperwork.  commercial fertilizer could be purchased with no requirement of soil test,records, spreader training or any other regulation whatsoever. the govermnet we provide to help preserve our great land is destroying it bit by bit.   im done now . thanks for letting me vent .pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!