iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home-Made Ice Cream

Started by Norm, July 18, 2010, 12:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Needed something to cool off from the hot weather we've been having so what's better than ice cream!

This is a cooked custard variety that's my favorite. You use cream, sugar, corn syrup, eggs and real vanilla beans.

Pour into the new mixer I got that you freeze the bowl and turn on the mixer.

No ice or salt required and it does all the work for you.

Jeff

Home made Ice cream was always a big deal in the Brokaw Family and I hope one year to do it for the Pigroast. There is a thread around here somewhere that tells how home made ice cream was responsible for the existence of the Forestry Forum.

This year's Pig roast Ice cream is still pretty awesome. I ordered it and picked it up in the U.P. over the forth. Back to what we had two years ago. Blueberry Wafflecone. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

We are making vanilla this afternoon as well. I have to go get the ice and do it the old fashioned way. :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Grandfather, dad and his brother made it all the time on the old farm. My dad used to make it also on family gatherings. Dad can't eat much of it now, diabetic. The real stuff is all I eat, and on rare occasion I get some. Although, I can eat the bean gum kind, I'm no fan of it. Not fit to eat. ;)  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Norm with all the good eats you have all the time its a wonder your not bigger than me.   ;)

Jeff, I look forward to the blueberry wafflecone ice cream, sure sounds good.

On the other hand, SD, if bean gum ice cream tastes like it sounds, I'll pass to.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Donk, after reading some of your latest food topic posts, and the post above, It reminded me to tell you that is totally unnecessary to bring any sort of dish to pass to the pigroast...

Norm, got any photos and reports of the finished product?

ohsoloco

Around my house (and my gram's) when I was growing up, ice cream was always something that was made in the winter.  We'd use snow instead of ice.  It never dawned on me until recently that it had to be made that way back when.  It was made with snow, and then kept on the back porch to stay frozen  :P

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Hey, if the natives can eat it, so can't I. Natural ya know. ;) :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Sorry Jeff I gobbled up the evidence so quick there wasn't a chance for a photo. :)

It was very good though, the problem with this new maker is it's so easy I'm sure to eat too much.

Magicman

Quote from: Norm on July 19, 2010, 07:55:02 AM
the problem with this new maker is it's so easy 

Does it have a tub that you freeze beforehand?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Was thinking of this thread when I had a bowl of my Hagan Daaz Dark Chocolate Raspberry Swirl. :)

LOGDOG

This sounds SO GOOD right now!

LeeB

Good reminder. I need to fix the motor on my freezer. It has something in it. It still works but sounds like a pack of hell dogs.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chris Burchfield

Home made, hand cranked ice-cream has been at our family functions from my earliest memories.  Home made ice cream doesn't start tasting good until your eyeballs freeze over.  This is way beyond the ice cream headache stage.  As kids, we'd race to sit on the hand cranked ice-cream freezer when a volunteer was called for.  It was as prestigious as compared to getting to ride a ride at the fair.  I've counted as many as ten freezers at family reunions and every flavor imaginable.  My favorites: peach, banana, coconut, chocolate and vanilla.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Weekend_Sawyer

I wonder how it would be if it were Gibletized ?

... sorry, Tom started it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

Yepsir!  Gibletized, really ripe peaches, mango, bananas and just plain old vanilla is great every day on those hot, bright-sunny days and 90°+ temperatures.

Gibletizing keeps all the good, special stuff small enough to get some in every bite.  If you use enough salt on the ice, it'll get so hard it crunches. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!