iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video of Jeff sawing logs

Started by D._Frederick, July 17, 2010, 12:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

Jeff,

Years ago you had a video of you sawing a log on a high speed circular sawmill, would that video still available?   

D._Frederick

???

Jeff

Yep, it is, actually give me a little bit to put them on youtube. The old files may not play with the newer players. I'll download them and let youtube convert them, then post them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

There was a couple short ones.  One that was kinda watching me, and one that was watching a log.  Not the best because of the video capabilities I had back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VPJ-Ojha-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3PftuULqdk

Dave Shepard

I'd be in some sort of unbelievable agony after running those two sticks for even a day. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Raider Bill

No wonder your shoulder's shot!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

25 years, 8 to 10 hours a day usually 6 days a week.

pigman

That can't be Jeff, his hair is too dark. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

fishpharmer

That, my friend, is impressive!! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

If you look close, there is a dark brown beard poking out the sides too. That's been almost white for quite some time.

gator gar

Looks like they need to take the play out of them joysticks. Tighten them up a bit. Too much reaching for me. I'd be shot too.

trapper

Thanks for the memories.  Only the mill I sawed on 44 years ago didnt have hydraulics.  I ran a stick, turned by hand and advanced by hand. could only feed that fast in basswood and popple.  we had a 110 hp electric motor with v belts to transfer power to saw. Made a lot of pallet stock for the pallet place next door. Like the others say once sawdust gets in your blood it stays forever.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

Quote from: gator gar on July 18, 2010, 10:10:57 PM
Looks like they need to take the play out of them joysticks. Tighten them up a bit. Too much reaching for me. I'd be shot too.

Those are not joysticks, and there was zero play in them. You had to have length in order to have ease of control. This style was directly to the valve bodies. It was used in hundreds of mills over the years. Now everything is electric joysticks with very little movement required. I sawed in the generation before ergonomics.  :)

Magicman

That's a whole 'nother world.  I have a friend that has been after me for years to come and sit in the saw house with him.  I guess that I should take him up on it.  Seems like I never have/take time.

I really enjoyed seeing those clips.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D._Frederick

Jeff,  Thanks for digging them out. They look better on my newer computer.

How did you keep everything in control and not shorting up dogs and head blocks?

customdave

Neat, glad I'm to short for that job , arms wouldn't be long enough. My arms & neck got sore watching.. My hats off to you Jeff....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Chuck White

I just never could get over how fast the log can be passed through a circle-saw blade.

Good show Jeff.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gunman63

WOW   just wondering tho, 3 sided cants? or did i miss the 4th side, why was one left round?

Jeff

Yep, that was a three sided cant, we were probably cutting 1 1/16" by 7 1/4" top boards for International Paper that day. The cant could go down off my end gate to the gang saw and be re-sawed into boards.  You can push a lot of wood through the mill on days like that.

scrout

Sheesh,
That is awesome fast (says boy with manual band mill....)

I need a 100 total of 10 and 12 foot 2x6 for decking, which will take me days, and that wouldn't get you to your first coffee break.

Magicman

I had a pretty good day sawing 4X4 cedar for a customer that worked at a large production sawmill.  I sawed about 1500 BF that day.  The next day he asked his sawyer how long it would take to saw 1500 BF.

He said, mmmmm 'bout 3 minutes.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

QuoteHe said, mmmmm 'bout 3 minutes.

Any operation that could possibly saw that much is 3 minutes has no sawyer.  I could probably saw it on the mill pictured in about 25-30 minutes (greatly depending on the log size).

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on July 19, 2010, 09:09:05 PM
Any operation that could possibly saw that much is 3 minutes has no sawyer.  

Exactly right.  That's one of those computerized jobs that saws the logs with one pass.  I guess that the log end is no more than an image on a computer screen.  He also wasn't talking about 8' cedar logs.  I'd love to see it in action.

And as you said Jeff, that operator probably wasn't called a sawyer.    :-[

customsawyer

Jeff I bet you still wake up in the middle of the night some times and you arms are jerking back and forth. ;D ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mark K

That pretty neat. Never seen a high speed circular mill in action. Went up to a big mill in the area and watched them saw with a double cut band mill about a month ago. Thanks for showing it.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Autocar

Nothing like a circle mill   8)
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!