iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JB Weld

Started by NWwoodsman, July 16, 2010, 09:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWwoodsman

So discovered a bad oil leak and tracked it down to my push rod tube on the air cooled VW mill. Ordered some new ones that you don't need to take the heads off to install, but descided to try a quick fix until they come. Went to the hardware store and got some JB Weld for 6 bucks. Cleaned and sanded the tube up. Mixed and applied to tube, waiting 16 hours for it to full cure. I sure it will work as it's a none pressure tube. So in conclusion I love JB Weld followed close by super glue which is still holding on my master chain link keeper.

Jason

terrifictimbersllc

JB Weld is great stuff.  I used JB weld to cement new clutch refacing material   which I got from McMaster Carr,  to my Stihl 090 clutch segments.   The new clutch assembly would have been about $325 and each segment new $50.  It's still holding up after a half dozen uses. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Left Coast Chris

I was skeptical but tried JB Weld on our wood spliter aluminum intake manifold broken bolt flange.  Still going strong after a year. 8) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

paul case

i refuse to incriminate myself and devalue my kids' inheritance by tellin youall just what i have fixed with jb weld.i like the jb quick. sets in 5 minutes.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

kderby

Perfect...I had not used any for a couple years.  Last week it was the wifes flower watering can (pulled metal seam).  This week it was a knob on the mill.  Next it will be a fuel can with a "pin hole" leak.  Mix it, let it set up and you are back to work! 

It is on the top of my shopping list. 

kderby

Jeff

My last major repair with it, was when I hit a propane regulator I had somehow dropped in the grass with the lawnmower.  It was not the regulator I fixed, as it scattered like a grenade. It was the hole in the side of the above ground swimming pool where a chunk of shrapnel hit.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

Quote from: Jeff on July 17, 2010, 04:30:46 AM
My last major repair with it, was when I hit a propane regulator I had somehow dropped in the grass with the lawnmower.  It was not the regulator I fixed, as it scattered like a grenade. It was the hole in the side of the above ground swimming pool where a chunk of shrapnel hit.

Now we know where you spend your time, keeping a eye on that repair.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Coon

I have tried JB Weld on plastic gas cans a couple of times and both times it was temporarily fixed.  Seems the gas likes to eat through it.  I guess it has its place though.  I have used it on many other things and it worked like it is supposed to. 

For plastic gas cans I now use a plastic weld kit consisting of a propane torch and plastic from an old gas can that was not worth fixing.  A soldering gun would be much more efficient to use but mine always seems to have grown legs and disappeared.   ::) 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

trapper

After reading this thread I bought some tonight to try and put a muffler on my woodsplitter tomorow.  The  threads in the head are completely gone.  Any comments on how long the repair should sit before using?  Thanks
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

Trapper
I had that problem with the splitter engine muffler. Worked the threads out so the 1" pipe wouldn't stay threaded with shaking of B&S engine.

Finally I made a bracket off the engine to bolt the muffler to with a U-bolt.  Not "air" tight but supports the muffler in position to muffle most of the exhaust.

A touch of JB weld would have been a good addition to the fix, so to make it airtight. Might just do that.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Quote from: trapper on July 18, 2010, 10:24:25 PM
Any comments on how long the repair should sit before using?  Thanks  Marv

My experience has been that the 5 minute JB does not get as hard as the 24 hour stuff.  I would follow the instructions on the pack for "sit time".   They are really two different products for different applications.

Adding more or less hardener will really mess things up.  I like to just squeeze out two fairly equal lines and then mix.  Too much heat is really not either one's friend.   :(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Auminer

I've been known to reline a rust pitted brake master cylinder with this stuff then hone it out...still workin'.

Dave
Dave

I'm gonna live forever, so far so good...

paul case

now thats one i never woulda thunk up. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sandhills

bad thing about jb around my place is I don't ever seem to have any, hmmm, maybe I use it too much? right now its holding the bottom of a JD 4840 fuel tank on.  Have to ask Auminer, do you know Norm and Suzzane Smith? they are my cousins, never noticed you were from Haines, been there once can't wait to go back, truly the prettiest country I've seen so far.

ely

bottom of my gas tank in my pickup has two patches of the stuff on them, from previous owner. plastic fuel tank to boot.

trapper

beenthere 
I like your bracket idea. I had a 1/4-20 threaded hole for a flat muffler.  I put a stud in it and used jb weld to stick the muffler to it as well as filling in around the muffler where it goes into  the head.  Tomorrow will tell if it worked.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

Here is a pic of the bracket I bolted on. Was a scrap piece I had handy.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

The JB Weld will likely soften with the heat from the exhaust. A heli-coil would be a permanent fix.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Chris Burchfield

20+ years ago.  I assembled and restored my grandfather's 6 1/2 HP Fairbanks Morse flywheel engine.  It had set under the collapsed shop tin for I don't know how long.  The open crank case allowed water into the cylinder.  The bottom of the cylinder was bad pitted and the rings were totally gone.  I had to drive the piston out with a block of wood and a sledge hammer.  I found and ordered the new rings.  Used a wire wheel on a drill to clean out the cylinder.  I used the 24 hour BJ to slick the bottom of the cylinder.  Then honed it.  When I finally got her running, I was gleaming ear to ear.  The engine runs for my benefit now and doesn't pull a gristmill or jack-shaft in the shop the way it use to.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

davidlarson

I used JB Weld to reattach the metal (stainless steel) handle to my grandson's cup.  It worked fine, until the repaired cup went through the dishwasher.  Apparently the hot water was too hot, and the repair failed.  JB Weld doesn't like very high temperatures.

trapper

logwalker  you are right smoked and let go almost instantly when I started the engine

Auminer

QuoteHave to ask Auminer, do you know Norm and Suzzane Smith? they are my cousins, never noticed you were from Haines, been there once can't wait to go back, truly the prettiest country I've seen so far.
Yup, I know of them and their B&B in Fort Seward, nicely redone. 
I also do photography in this country, almost a sure thing 'cause ya can't miss with a scenic shot.  Come back for a visit anytime Sandhills!
Dave

bandmiller2

As logwalker says its no good around heat.I have patched many tanks water,gas,diesel . Fuel tanks plug the pinhole with ivory soap then 5min poxy then clean the area and use fiberglass cloth and epoxy over it all.Best to consider epoxy a temporary fix.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shinnlinger

For gasoline contact, I have had good luck with a product called "Seal all"  I rigged an after market "Fuel cell"  (gas can ratchet strapped to fender) on my yard dumper a few years ago, and the hole where I stuck the fuel line in is still tight.

More recently, the fuel shutoff solenoid on a lawn tractor malfunctioned so I replaced it with a pipe plug and seal all and it has held up well.

What is that other JB like product?  PC-7?

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

trapper

beenthere  The jb weld just burned up.  Tried furnace cement to seal it up and seems to have worked.  split wood for over an hour this afternoon with no problem.  Also the stud with a hose clamp to tie them together worked.
trapper

Auminer

I envy you guys down there where it's easier to get hold of, but there's some stuff called POR 15 that's making quite an impression on me.  Seems as it does all that JB does then some.  I'm patching holes and coating the inside of a boat tank with it.  Been around for quite a few years, just new to me, I'll let ya know if it works, or you'll read about some fool going out with a bang on the water.

Must be somebody here has used it, how about first hand info?

Dave
Dave

NWwoodsman

Had a friend that told me he fixed a filling in his mouth. Used a air gun to keep it dry, I think he used the 5 minute stuf.
Jason

weisyboy

best product ever 8)
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!