iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln on wheels

Started by Jason_WI, July 16, 2010, 10:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_WI

Finally building my solar kiln. I am building it on a wagon running gear for 2 reasons: I can move it where I want and I don't have to pay taxes on it since its portable ;D

The total structure is 24' 10" long by 8' wide. the kiln portion is 20' long with an 18' door opening. The main support beams are white ash and are 6" x 10". The floor is 2" white ash. I will put 2" of pink foam for the floor insulation with 3/4" ply top. The walls will have 4" of pink foam for a R20 rating. The solar collector will be corrugated fiberglass glazing with a layer of plastic on the inside to create an air gap. 

I am going to use two 100W 24V solar panels to power four 24V DC radiator fans so it will be totally self sufficent off the grid. The solar panels will be mounted to the last 4 feet of the roof. The last 4' will be where the batteries and charge controller is located.

Don't worry I can move it out of the shed with inches to spare ;D. I can always let the air out of the tires if I have to :o

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

OneWithWood

All you need now is the tracking system so it can roll around the yard following the sun  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

logwalker

Don't give him any ideas!    :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: logwalker on July 16, 2010, 12:46:36 PM
Don't give him any ideas!    :D

Looks like he already has plenty  :D

Herb

Ernie

What a brilliant idea.  8) 8)  I hope you post more pics as you finish it off.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

wesdor

Thanks for the photos.  I have been thinking about doing something along this very line - due to the taxation problem - and you have got my mind thinking about it again.  I have the running gears, but so far haven't gotten the time to even start something.

Great pictures.

Like others have said, please post more as you get it finished.

low_48

What's that running gear rated at? Fill that thing up with wet hard maple and those tires may get a little thin on the bottom. Great idea though. I had another idea, it might be a good idea to keep it full during the windy season. We had a couple of hog sheds on the farm when I was growing up. They were shaped a little like your kiln, but open on one end. I lost track of how many times we had to hook them to the tractor and flip them back over.
But with your design, you can just put it back in the shed if a big blow is coming.

Jason_WI

I believe the running gear is rated to 6 ton. I plan on using moble home jacks under the main beams to have the weight off the tires when it is set in place. I will use stave silo cement blocks as pads under the jacks to keep them from sinking.

About the wind issue also plan on using some white ash 4x4x10 outriggers to stabilize the structure. They will be hinged so they can be pulled up when moved. I don't plan on moving the kiln once set in place and leveled. It's only on wheels mainly for the tax reason.
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Den Socling

That Jason does his homework!  :P

trapper

I will have to come up and learn from you when it is done.  I should be within 100 miles of you.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

treenail

Great project!  Keep the pictures coming. I built a smaller, similar style kiln last year and have had lumber drying in it continuously. Mine is on ash skids so that I can winch it onto my trailer if the property tax people come around. When I build a larger one, it will be built right onto a trailer. Mine was set up with an inverter so that I can run 110/ac fans with my 12 volt solar panels when it is mobile, or with regular household current when it is home.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

Thank You Sponsors!