iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning Struck Australian Pine

Started by Mooseherder, July 15, 2010, 09:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

On July 4th Lightning hit the biggest tree in our yard and looks like it recoshot into the second tallest tree 60 feet away.  

It was around 5 pm and I was cooking Chicken Wings about 25 feet away from this tree on my brick grill pit.
They were about halfway done when I decided to go in the house because the weather was looking to deluge.
I had been in the house about 15 minutes of downpour and while my wife and I were looking out the Window to comment about how it was lookin' kinda Hurricanish out there a big Fire Ball snapped right in front of my grill area.
The bang shook my innerds.  No doubt had I been standing there it would have been all over.
It was a little upsetting to think about really.  When the rain slowed down I went out and quickly pulled the Wings into a pan to finish cooking in the oven.  I couldn't get back to the house quick enough.  The coals had been completely put out and there was no way I was going to stay out there.  The Wings had a few crunchies on them but I figured maybe it was a few grass clippings that had splashed up because I had mowed a few hours earlier before the downpour.
Fast forward a few days later when I see this piece of Bark from the Australian Pine about 20 feet from the tree. ::)

I know it's an odd piece of Bark but these are not a true Pine Tree.  It's a Knarly looking massive tree that I love as it is my sanctuary shade tree area.  Thats when I discover signs it had been hit by the Lightning bolt and it will probably not make it. :(
These marks pretty much go up both sides of the tree.  There is also a hole in the ground next to the tree.
And, the Chicken Wings with Australian crunchies were not good either!

Ianab

You might be surprised and the tree may well recover. Those casuarina are pretty tough.

Depends how much of the cambrium layer under the bark has actually been fried.

On the brighter side, it probably took the hit that was going to get your house otherwise, might have saved you from a lot of electrical damage.  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JohnG28

Sorry to hear about your trees, hopefully theyre resiliant and make it.  On the plus side, with a strike that close you are certainly lucky.  Dead tree or not at least nobody was hurt.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!