iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soft floor travel trailer question

Started by sbishop, July 14, 2010, 09:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

hi, i've got a friend of mine that wants me to give him a hand to fix a soft spot on the floor in his travel trailer. There is no leak and i guess its a little common with this type of trailer, model is  R-Vison Trailcruiser 2002  26QBH.

i can't find and repair details on the Internet so i though i would ask here at FF and see if anyone ever ran into this type of issue?

i haven't seen the problem yet but we discussed maybe welding a small c channel or 2 accross the frames where the floor is soft.

He did take it to an rv shop and they wanted over 7K to fix it...i told him he should have gave them the trailer.. and i only charge 3.5K HA

What do you think?

Thanks
Sbishop

sawguy21

The sub floor has likely rotted from water being thrown up from the road over the years and working it's way in. The only way to fix it is cut the damaged section out and replace it, not an easy job in an rv. Our 83 Vanguard has a similar problem but I'm not about to rebuild a 27 year old trailer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sbishop

From what i've read so far, it looks like his floor is not made of wood but a one piece composite. so it might be too big of a job to replace a section of floor.

the rv dealer was going to lift all the walls and replace the whole floors.

Sprucegum

If they used spray foam insulation under the floor welding can become VERY flammable.

I have an older trailer that I keep at my camp for guests. When the floor got spongey I removed the linoleum and layed in some cheap laminate clip-together flooring. It looks pretty good.

sprucebunny

Sounds like you need to find a place where a pipe passes thru the floor and find out what it's made of.

I fixed the floor in my camper but it is a molded shell fiberglass Casita. I had to cut thru the plywood but not the outside fiberglass and glass in a new piece. Then I covered the whole floor with 1/4" plywood cutting in around partitions and put a glue down vinyl plank floor.

The composite floor probably has layers so you could cut out a hunk of the inside layers and leave the outside layers and 'glass in some plywood or whatever seemed good.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

gunman63

overlay it with 3/4" plywood, the good stuff , and lay  down new floor covering.

Thank You Sponsors!