iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8 and 10" wet sharpening systems

Started by Handy Andy, July 13, 2010, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

Looking at the 8 and 10" wet grinders Grizzly has on sale.  They have accessory kits for different kinds of sharpening, and wondered if anyone might have the accu-sharp jig.  It looks like a plane iron and chisel etc type sharpener.  And maybe heavy enough to hold tools in place and last .  Any comments? 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

tyb525

Seen 'em, thought about buyin one, but haven't yet :-\
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jaybolicious

I bought the 8" Grizzly two years ago.  After sharpening about 8-10 chisels the stone became severely warped and needed to be re-ground back to a round shape.  The stone is very soft and does not last long.    Replacement stones are $50 I believe.  After searching craigslist I found a practically new tormek 2000 on craigslist for $250.  The difference between the two is night and day.  My opinion, get a tormek, it is an amazing tool and one that will last a lifetime.  The griz, not so much. 

Burlkraft

I believe that Jet has a system that is a knock off of a Tormek.

I used to have a Tormek and I couldn't see much of a difference in the two, although I never got to use one.

All the Tormek attachments fit the Jet also.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

terrifictimbersllc

The black stone SB-250 is much harder than the standard Tormek stone, and is great for shaping and sharpening HSS lathe turning tools.   Looking forward to using it for jointer and planer knives also.   All of these HSS tools take a long time to grind off any appreciable amount of material with the standard stone, and cause a lot of stone wear.   The black stone is much quicker and wears much less for HSS.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!