iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees of Gold

Started by Jeff, November 02, 2003, 04:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It's fall in the North and the Eastern Larch is in its glory. I was not able to get the photos that I wanted because the sun never came out this weekend up at the cabin. We got these under cloudy rainy conditions and they were still pretty good. You should see them when the Sun is on them. Pure gold. :)

The first few photos are of Eastern Larch the last photos are of some plantation European Larch that grows about 8 miles from the cabin. Lichen Heaven

Eastern Larch

European Larch

Under the Larch

Here are a couple of photos ground level of where the Larch grows around the cabin.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Wow!   Neat!  How long will the leaves stay on the trees?

Jeff

They are falling right now like rain, with the rain. I imagine by next weekend they will look like a bunch of dead evergreens. :D

chet

I get three or four calls every year from people that want their "dead christmas tree" cut down.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

I'm going to remove a dead spruce today beside a cottage, I haven't seen it yet, maybe it's a larch.  ;D

Ron Scott

European Larch Seedling. Tubling seedling. European larch is being planted on Mead/Westvaco lands due to its rapid growth.

It can be harvested at 15 years of age producing 15 cords/acre. A good return on investment.

However, since its an exotic species, it is still pending registration for use in reforesting other landownerships. 10/03

~Ron

Kevin

My guy was a dead spruce, got some nice 20" dia. saw logs.
The neighbor said the branches started falling off on one side and the only thing  green was the top last Spring.
It was dry as a bone and spalted near the top.
It doesn't take long for a standing dead spruce tree to go bad.

oldsaw-addict

Man thats some beautiful scenery you got there. I wish it were that nce in florida. palm trees are nice to look at but if you've ever cut one you will understand my point, they are basically nothing more than trunks of fiber. the fibers when cut will wrap around the crankshaft of the saw between the sprocket and the oil pump. I hate when I have to clean that crap out, its a real woodsmans nightmare in my book.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Jeff

I thought I would resurrecte this topic with a photo I took this last Friday. I suspect the needles are all down now.

Klunker

we call them tamaracks in this neck of the woods.

sprucebunny

One of my favorite species not only for the fall color but for the spring color and the softness of the needles.

Pretty pictures, Jeff. I missed the Tamarack show this year.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ReinkeFandS

Jeff, I was just north of you this last weekend doing some hunting around Fredrick. Here is a picture:

and of course all the needles had dropped.
Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Jeff

Actually, you were south of me because I was in De Tour Village for a week. I'm home now though! :)

Thank You Sponsors!