iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First question.... Is it good to eat ?

Started by Kbeitz, August 18, 2016, 01:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The big craze now seems to be chaga. Every so called expert on health benefits not proven have taken to them.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bkaimwood

I trust portobello mushrooms, only cuz that is what the store label says it is...
bk

cliffreaves

Here are a few that I found today.  I didn't think to take pictures of the chanterelles, but they were good eatin' after I fried 'em up.

Can you tell which one isn't edible.

LeeB

The only one I would feel comfortable even considering eating is #2.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

cliffreaves

Yeah, that's the only one I was 100% on.  I fried them up with the chanterelles. Those are the first oysters I'd found around here.

SwampDonkey

The last one looks like what we call turkey tail, which I wouldn't eat. And I'm not a mushroomer, so not likely to pick and eat any.  :D

The grey jays hide mushrooms in the fir trees, so they must be ones they plan on eating in winter. But a bird can also eat berries that will poison people, so that's no good. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I think #1 is one of the amanitas and poisonous. #3, poisonous also and the turkey tail is used by some to make a medicinal tea that I don't remember what for. But don't take my word for any of this.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cliffreaves

I believe #1 is an edible bolete.  #2 is a good to oyster.  #3 I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's poisonous.   Right on with #4 turkey tail is not poisonous and used in medicine and in making vodka😀.

enigmaT120

I agree No. 1 is a bolete.  They're pretty much all supposed to be edible but I've tried the ones around here and they're not worth eating.

I guess there's a big difference between "edible" and "choice" and not all choice ones are really very good.

We only pick chanterelles or cauliflower mushrooms.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Thank You Sponsors!