iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

03 f150 no start

Started by Hilltop366, July 11, 2010, 10:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

2003 f150 With 4.6L

It was starting hard once and a while then Friday night I tried to use it and no go, Kept trying and would start once and a while but not always restart And now it won't start.

So Saturday I got looking on the web for ideas to look at and started trouble shooting the truck and have got it down to this:
The fuel pump was not running, all fuses test good but if I remove the fuel pump relay and jump across with a wire the fuel pump runs all the time and truck starts right up. It would make you think the relay might be to blame so then I took the relay and powered it up with the battery, it clicks and checked for connection with ohm meter and shows no resistance when powered and open when not powered which would make me think that the relay is good. Now my options are the relay test good but will not work under load or what ever controls the fuel pump (turns it on and off as required after key is turned on) is not turning on relay.

Any ideas would be great.

Ironwood

Weak fuel pump is as bad (actually worse) as a shot one. Look at the filter too. Should have that crazy ford clip you need a special tool to remove.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Hilltop366

I was going to pickup a relay tomorrow when the dealer opened, so in the mean time I found some info to check the PCM diode, it stopped raining late this after noon so I swaped the AC and PCM diode....no help. Then I got to thinking the 2003 f150 is sitting right next to the 1995 f150 plow truck I wonder if the relays are the same.....yep so I popped one out and stuck it in the 2003 now the fuel pump comes on and the engine starts like normal !  I guess you have to check them with a load to see if they really work.

Now I had put the spare tire down to check some wires around the fuel tank and it won't go back up, always something.

IMERC

Quote from: Ironwood on July 11, 2010, 11:02:10 AM
Weak fuel pump is as bad (actually worse) as a shot one. Look at the filter too. Should have that crazy ford clip you need a special tool to remove.

Ironwood

use the tab that's on a top from a BIC pen to to unlock the fuel line clip...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

ScottAR

Tip for the future.  A lot of times on the fords the relay for the horn is the same type relay as the fuel pump one.
Swap and test.  Won't have a horn but you can get back home with it. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Hilltop366

Quote from: IMERC on July 12, 2010, 01:28:51 AM

use the tab that's on a top from a BIC pen to to unlock the fuel line clip...

A BIC pen, IMERC are you related to Macgyver ?... Good idea

Quote from: ScottAR on July 12, 2010, 02:55:23 AM
Tip for the future.  A lot of times on the fords the relay for the horn is the same type relay as the fuel pump one.
Swap and test.  Won't have a horn but you can get back home with it. 

Yep that will work on the 95 it has 4 relays that are the same (I borrowed the trailer light one), Unfortunately on the 2003 there are only 2 that size, (The rest are smaller) one for the fuel pump and one for the PCM so you need them both.

Oh ya, I got the spare tire back up, the trouble was with some dirt that was in the guide tube was plugging the "key" that is used on the end of the jack handle, took the tube off and washed it out with a water hose now it is good as it ever was.  ::)

IMERC

some times it takes two of them or slight modifications to one to get it to work...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Coon

Around here we cutt hose spare tire hangers off of the vehicle.  Vehicles around here see too many dirt and gravel roads.  Most people use a chunk of heavy logging chain and a heavy duty padlock and chain it into the bed of pickme up truck. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!