iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 170

Started by Raider Bill, July 09, 2010, 05:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Is this available to me for $175.00 Old guy in hood bought it a few years ago but can't pull the cord.

Will need a good cleaning as it's had gas in it the whole time.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

boobap

new they are only $199...i believe. not worth it to me!

ladylake

I have one, it's light, has no power and not much quality but it runs good. In the smaller saws I'd be looking at a Dolmar, Echo, Efco or Shindaiwa.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

Has to be a mis-type. 170 here is $159 NEW. I bet he meant 270.
You can pick up used 017-170's for $50-$75 with ease.

Al_Smith

Geeze that doesn't sound right . Anything that says Stihl on it for such a moderate price . You'll pay nearly that for just a medium sized OEM piston not to mention the rest of the saw .

jteneyck

List price is $179.95.  No way I'd pay that much for what it is, much less for a used one.  I'd go with the Echo, Shindaiwa, Dolmars recommended above, or get a used saw if I was handy, as Cut4Fun suggested.  Personally, I love my little Shindaiwa 345's.  Pro quality saws in every regard.  Paid less than $50 (shipping included) for the last one.  An hour of my time and $20 in parts and I had a great "new" saw.   

Raider Bill

It's a 170, I told him I'd go $75.00 We'll see.
He's also got a Stihl pole saw I'd like to own if the prices was right. I'm not sure why he bought this as he doesn't have any trees.

TessiersFarm

I bought a 180 for my father because the 026 was too heavy for him, and he had to have a smaller saw, he still doesn't use it, but I love it.  It is awsome for limbing around the pasture fences and cutting off fence posts, about as nimble as a heavy steak knife and actually I thought it had pretty good power for what it is.  It has the wild thing beat hands down.  All in all I guess if nothing else I learned 4 saws wasn't enough. 
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

boobap

I used my 017 for carving...did pretty good at that. Wife also like to use it 'cause it was light for her.

Holmes

Is it a manual pole saw or a gas pole saw? I have the manual adjustable Stihl pole saw and it is great.  I've cut thousands of limbs with it , great spring, winter and fall exercise.
Think like a farmer.

Raider Bill

Its powered! I'd say it extends to about 10ft

Stephen1

i've had my 170 for 7 years, did all my notches on my log cabin 60 something notches, plus all the other cutting i've done with it because it is a nice light saw.
It just died this week-end i can't get the top end, it starts, runs and idles fine but no top end, i've put in a new plug, played with the carb a bit, but no luck, oh yeah it has new gas and oil in it.
I know it is a disposable saw, but i wouldn't mind getting it working again.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ladylake

Take the carb apart and clean it out good, old crudded up gas got it.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jteneyck

And as long as you have the carb. apart, might as well replace the diaphrams and needle.  About $12 for a kit.  Also, check/replace the fuel filter and fuel line while you're at it, especially if your gas has ethanol in it.  Another $20 or so for Stihl OE parts, but that should have you good to go again for another 7 years. 

sefh

Check your gas line. Those lines tend to crack and will seize the saw. I would replace it if it where mine.
Stihl 056 27"
Stihl 290 20"
Stihl 026 20"

SawTroll

Well, it is a POS saw, on the level of the cheaper Poulans - but it still does what it was designed for!     ::)
Information collector.

Al_Smith

:D Now ,now, now,lest we forget Poulan did make some good ones .They did make some not so good too .

boobap

Quotelest we forget Poulan did make some good ones

like the 405...it is a cool looking and feeling saw!

Thank You Sponsors!