iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A couple of trees I cut in Macon. (with pics)

Started by customsawyer, July 09, 2010, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I had a customer call and say he had two trees get blown over and would like to get them milled. You might say I got a little happy when I saw the trees.

This is the little one. Part of it was hanging over a pond so had to work at getting it out to the mill. I cut 4 logs 12' long out of this tree and the butt cut had to be ripped in half.

This is the big one, she was 58" in dia. at the stump and at 36' up she was still 41" in dia.

This is the mill and half of the logs that had to be ripped.

I might have overloaded her a tad.

For you new guys if you have a customer that is interested don't be afraid to stop and take the time to teach.

This is the ripping in action.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bill Gaiche

You must have been grinning ear to ear from the sight of these beautiful trees. Lots of lumber in those babies. If that J/D had just a little more green paint on the rear it would have kept all four on the ground!

paul case

kewl,awesome neat. i like it when a plan comes together eeven if it is for someone else!

customsawyer,
how do you rip those logs so strait?  looks real purty.   pc   
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SAWMILL BUDDY

Nice logs  ;D Great job on the ripping part too. So what did you end up making? Boards or beams?

customsawyer

Paul you might say lots of practice. I have done it so many times that I kind of have a feel for it.

I cut it up in to 4/4 by random width up to about 17" wide.

I got a little more than 3000 bf out of the two logs with about 75% being quarter sawed.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

riverswamp sawyer

Holly Heck..... those are some nice logs!!

I live right down the road from you  (Eastman) Do you mind if I stop by some time and watch a pro in action?

customsawyer

Don't mind if you come watch at all just not to sure about the pro part of your statement.
There is some more pics in my gallery of these logs if some of you want to go take a look.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

T Red

Do you use a regular chain on your chainsaw to rip?  How long does it take to rip a log like the one your ripping in your picture?

Thanks for the pictures.

Tim
Tim

Magicman

Those old trees are what money is made out of.   ;)  Congratulations on a fine catch.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

T red I just use regular chain. I have tried the ripping chain and found that it does leave a smother cut it cuts a little bit slower. The hardest part about that job was leaning over that chain saw when it is on the verge of 100 degrees.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

Custom S, very inspiring & thanks for posting this. Sinking feeling that I'm not 40 anymore.    Are you snapping a line to saw  by?  On both sides?  do you have to correct drift at the end of the bar on the far side, is this easy?

How do you stand up a half log for sawing, use your tractor? What kind of tree was this? thanks dennis
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pigman

It was a shame those trees got blown over before they reached full size. :D
customsawyer, you need to put a little more air in the front tires if you keep lifting those size logs. Don't worry about the back tires, they are not touching the ground  anyway.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

gator gar

Man, I sure see alot of railroad ties in those trees. I've been hanging around Boman1 too long. Every hardwood I come across, I'm counting  potential ties.

carykong

customsawyer

The trees were both red oak.
Terrifictimbersllc  I don't snap any kind of a line on the logs I turn the logs to where the chainsaw is cutting on the crack in the pith of the tree I then get the saw started and use my knee to push the saw through the log and the point that the saw hits my leg I try to keep the same unless the ground level changes. When it comes to the far side you have to pick up on the saw a little bit to off set for the weight of the saw head and then about every foot or so step around the log and look to make sure you are keeping it strait.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks, I've been doing that vertically freehand but have to jack up the log and also climb on top.  Horizontal have been using chainsaw mill modified to drop bar enough for big logs.  Never tried what you've done, looks like it is faster.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

My hat is off to you for being able to actually take logs like that and turn them into lumber with a portable sawmill.  You are the Big Log Whisperer.  That is a fact.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

how can the log hear him with that big chainsaw cuttn everything in half?   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

It is a private, spiritual, conversation that none of the other of us can hear  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Quote from: paul case on July 11, 2010, 10:40:43 PM
how can the log hear him with that big chainsaw cuttn everything in half?   pc
Red oaks usually have big ears.  ;) I cut them off to get the big logs through the mill.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Looks like those two red oaks had especially big ears  :).

customsawyer

You have to look them in the eyes and let them know who the ALPHA male is. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

T Timbers if everything works out just right I will put the open face of the log where the chain saw cut at a 45 degree angle take some boards and then turn 90 degrees this will give you the most quarter sawn lumber. In the first pic here I have already turned 90 degrees.

In this pic you can see the wedges that I use to keep from pinching the chain saw.

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!