Sponsors:

Did You Know?

Started by Kevin, October 11, 2001, 05:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Knots are Miles (nautical) per hour

... keep it going.  

Jeff

I am still smokin so I am not sure where this was going so here is my attempt.

That "kweego" is what we used to ask the teacher 5 minutes early every last hour?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Ironwood is Hop Hornbeam and it`s a member of the Birch family.

Kevin

Canada has 140 army tanks.  wow!

Gordon

The line that attaches the row boat to the yacht is called a Painter.

Left is port and right is starboard on a boat.

To get home after going to sea just remember red right returning. That means keep the red channel markers or bouys to starboard when going back to port. :o

Gordon

Tom

ok,....I give up..........is this to be a thread of little known but interesting facts, or a new identification of  everything?

Did you know that gumming, along with eating steak when you have no teeth, means to grind the gullet of a saw blade or to have pitch and sawdust build-up on the blade?

How'm I doin?

Kevin

You`re doing just dandy.

Cedar Shake is not a dance.

Tom

140 tanks !!!

heart check isn't the same as pulmonary thrombosis nor is heart shake a synonym for fibrilation but is actually a broken heart; though unlike the illness suffered by teenagers who have lost their first love.

Hmmmmmmmmmm  this is fun

swampwhiteoak

Mt. McKinley and Mt. Denali are actually the same place.

Don P

Frankincense,  Myrrh, and Dragon's Blood are all Rosin or dried tree sap

Eggsander

"Knots" comes from the evenly spaced knots which were tied in a line which was fastened to a "log". The log is thrown overboard, as the log pulls the line from the boat the knots are counted for set period of time thus "logging" the speed of the vessel. ;D
A thwart is a structural member which runs across the hull. :) :)
140 tanks of what??  ;D
Sorry, I couldn't help that one. ;)
Steve

Jeff

You don't know how hard I am laughing! :D :D :D

Kevin

Well as usual there`s good news and bad news.

The good news is ... each and every one of our 140 tanks are trained on Afghanistan.

The bad news is they`re still in Alberta!

Ron Wenrich

Dogs are man's best friend, or can be used to hold down logs.

Hogs can be eaten, or they can be used to reduce slabs into mulch.

:) :) :)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

:D :D :D
The check's in the mail

or is it? ;D

This is cracking me up, hope I don't split a side laughing. :D

I'm trying to be a good SPORT.

Maybe I'll just ride off on some witches broom while shaking a devils walking stick.

Reckon it beats being keel hauled! Those barnacles really chafe. Might end up needing a graft::)

Jeff

Why is an old time logger called a lumberjack? I cut the lumber, I want to be a Lumberjack.

L. Wakefield

You're a lumberjeff, now you want to be a lumberjack? :D :D :D :D :D   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Kevin

The Husqvarna logo is a set of rifle sights because they once made firearms.

RavioliKid

Gosh, I'd like to play, but I don't think I know anything right now.   :-/
RavioliKid

Gordon

A board ---a piece of a log with square sides and usually is wider than thicker.

A board --- permission to climb onto a boat or ship.

Board --- going onto the bad guys boat from your boat.

Gordon

Texas Ranger

You guys (and girl, Hi Rev!) are giving me a headache! :'(
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Not used to thinkun that fast eh Don?

Don P

For some reason I was expecting another bumper dumper type link  :D

Got me thinking nautical, (knotical, shoot I don't know anymore)

The USS Constitution,  "Old Ironsides" was planked with White Oak. The British cannonballs just bounced off.

One of Englands big interests in the "New World" was White Pine, or Weymouth or Pumpkin pine. Many of which were suitable for masts. The europeans' had exhausted their supply of long straight clear trees and were splicing masts together when they found this great new supply. The kings agents went through the country marking suitable trees with the "Kings Broad Arrow" sort of looks like the AT markers. To cut one of these trees was a major offense.

The frames of many early ships used natural forks ,bends and knees (hmm,cypress?) as framing elements, Many coastal homes were framed by out of work shipwrights so the framing at times appears like an upside down boat. An early truss, A cruck frame, is just 2 natural arched timbers forming a gothic arch.

They were often pinned together with trunnels...tree nails.

The knots on the sounding line on riverboats were tied at 6' intervals (1 fathom). A common paddlewheeler needed a 12 foot deep channel to pass safely...the call up to the bridge "Mark Twain" meant all clear.

Many east coast capitals lie on the fall line of a navigable river where supply ships could make it no further upstream. In Richmond when Tom crossed the James going north on I-95 just below the bridge is the remnants of the old canal surveyed by Washington to get around the fall line(actually he surveyed a canal route clear to the Miss.), good rapid there. The Alcoa aluminum plant is there too, once left a "rescued" canoe at the back door, hope it had better luck as a beer can. :D

Kevin

You have probably heard the expression 'Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey' , but what does it mean?

In the 17th and 18th centuries, cannon balls were stored on the decks of a war-ship in a pyramid shaped pile using a frame called a monkey to keep them in place. Sometimes these frames were made of brass, which could contract substantially in very cold weather and the balls would roll out of the frames. Hence the expresson!

Thank You Sponsors!