iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6x6 Beam job worth the upgrade??

Started by NWwoodsman, July 08, 2010, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWwoodsman

So had a customer e-mail me the other day about 1500 bf custom saw job. I have a good old Model 12 Mobil Dimension circular saw with the maxium cut size of 4x12. For those unfamiliar with the Mobil , it's a circular saw with 3 blades, One main blade at 26 inch and two edgers at 9 inch, so thats how you get the 4inches wide 12 inches tall cut. The customer needs 6x6 beams, I can't cut 6 inches wide, But for $1600 I can upgrade my mill to a Model 127 which will cut a 6 inches wide beam. I've only lost one other job for not being able to cut 6 inches wide. So is it worth buying the upgrade for a job that won't cover the cost, so I have it for the next time?? How often do you cut 6 inches wide beams, 4 x12 beams have always been enough for myself. But I'm thinking timber framers like square beams like 6x6's. What do you all think?
Jason

malcolmtent

I think you might find 6x6 to be a little small for timberframers, so I don't know that you'll be satisfied. My Lucas will do 8x8, and that's more like it for many timberframe pieces, but main beams are often 12 x 12. You'd still not be able to do an entire project for someone.

If you were losing one customer a quarter or per month, then that might change the answer. And if  you have a personal use for the larger capacity, then go for it.

DanG

Yes, I think the upgrade is worthwhile, assuming you're sawing regularly.  You will find it very useful in cutting regular dimension lumber, as well as beams.  I have a MD 128 with that same 12x4 configuration and would like to change it, but since I'm reduced to a hobby sawyer I can't justify the cost.  I should have done it back when the mill was actually bringing in some money.  The biggest problem I run into is having to settle for 4" wide lumber when I need to recover 6" or 8" wide stuff from a log. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ladylake

You'll notice your and Dans ages are reversed  63 and 36, being as young as you are get the 6" upgrade for sure and if they have a 8" upgrade that would be even better.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jim_Wahl

If it were me, I'd go for it. You would have more flexibility in your available sawing configurations,
such as taking horizontal 7 inch wide quarter sawn boards, for instance.

Paul's Bunion
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

NWwoodsman

Yep that's what I thought, go Big or go home. 8) But real I have not much into the mill other than regular maintainence items, it's been in the family since 1971, long since payed for. A new Mobil could be had for 30 or 40k, so I guess $1600 is a drop in the bucket. Also I do have some heavy piting on the main shaft pulley that will be replaced if I go for the upgrade. Thanks all Jason

DanG

The upgrade on a 128 is to 12x8, rather than 12x6.  Unless you have a lot of sentimental attachment to that particular mill, selling it and finding a used 128 might be your wisest choice.  You would have a lot more power and the hydrostatic drive, and most of them were originally shipped with both blade configs.  Those things are laying around all over the place in your neck of the woods, and can be had for $10-$12K.  You could recover most of that from the one you have.

Thanks for pointing out the age diff, Ladylake! :D :D :D  Seriously though, that is a big factor in this case.  A young chap like that will have no trouble at all in recovering the cost of the upgrade, but my mill hasn't made a nickel in two years and I got logs going to rot all over the place. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

NWwoodsman

Well the thing I like most about my mill is it's paid for but Also I've been running it since I was 12. Seems a shame to put a good saw out to pasture, since it dosen't let me down and if it does I know how to fix it with duct tape and super glue. How much hp's does  the 128 have? My motors been rebuilt within the last few years. And whats up with that hydro-drive, is it all that better. I don't have to slow my saw half way through the log all that often if ever. If I do I just talk a walk with the mill.
Jason

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jason for the $1600 it would be well worth the effort in the long run seing as you have already overhauld the motor  Mate  ;) It will also increase the resale value of it  ;D but id take it you would take the same point of view as i take towards my familys old Meadows it aint going anywhere ;) :D ;D 8)

Mal you can cut oversize beams with the lucas and get those odd ones to fill an order the same princaple is used with Md and any other rail type mill just level your bed timbers and saw around the log just pick logs that will make that size Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

paul case

thats pretty much the same way we cut big beams on the bandmills. we just have a few more options in how big and the size of the chunks that com off the mill.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

NWwoodsman

Only diff is my Mobil will cut up to 6 foot dia. logs about twice the size of must mobil bandmills.

paul case

my bandmill will cut those also . only you get to spend some quality time with a chainsaw ripping them in half first!  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

Paul i spent far too often hanging of the end of a 3120 with a 4' bar busting up logs the hard way Mate  ;) :D :D I think a perfect combo to have for any sawmiller would be a Swinger and a Circular carriage or a Band mill  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Jason what do you get in the upgrade Kit Mate i take it would be a new main saw shaft and the two larger horizontal saws at that price Mate  ???

Rgards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

DanG

The kit would include the extended shaft and one new edger blade, as well as a bunch of brackets needed to move the guards out to the new blade location.  With the large edger you can only have the one blade as the other one would hit the main blade.

NWW, that ol' model 12 is still a great saw and there is nothing at all wrong with hanging onto it.  The 128 is just a more advanced machine with a bit more power and the hydrostatic drive is a nice thing to have.  The engine on mine is 67hp.  When equipped with the large edger, the 12 and 127 become a 12x6 saw, and the 128 becomes a 12x8.

I can't tell you if you should or should not upgrade to a 128, so I'll just say what I would do in your situation. ;)  There would be a price difference between your 12 and a used 128.  I would keep the 12 and put that money into a small bandmill, and have the best of two wonderful worlds. ;D 8) 8) 8)

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: paul case on July 13, 2010, 03:24:56 AM
my bandmill will cut those also . only you get to spend some quality time with a chainsaw ripping them in half first!  pc
I second that.
The mighty might eats those 6' logs up but I wind up standing on a block of wood to see the top of the log. Even then if you want two slabs out of the log you still get to spend that quality time that you have been missing when using the lt-70.
Just need a bigger bandmill.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!