iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost fawn and other inequities

Started by chain, July 08, 2010, 09:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Most evenings we watch deer feeding across the soybean fields. A doe had brought her twin fawns out a few days before, but today they fed across the field and headed for a watering hole. Soon, they were back feeding on the bean plants along with several other deer scattererd about in the vicinity.

Watching through my scope, I noticed the doe was returning to the woods with only one fawn beside her, I then spied the other fawn a couple hundred yards behind appearing  lost and running back and forth and in circles, I believe the fawn finally lay down in the beans as the doe took her other fawn back into the woods.

We counted eleven deer feeding on the crop, >:( once the crop is up and growing well the deer will not damage as much as if snipping the beans off in the seedling stage. Nevertheless, sooner than later, action must be taken to preserve our crops.

ely

i have found that if you take one of the deer out of the bean field.... that is one less deer that will be eating your beans.
i have also found that it is not hard at all to find enough people to consume a deer in three days.

Jeff

As for the fawn being lost. Its not.  Whitetail deer split up their young when they bed them. Young fawns do not bed together. Its a defense against predation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

jeff, is this considered a food thread if we eat the deer or just talk about beans ;D?

Jeff

If you talk about Venison and Beans, I'm assuming you are also talking about alternative fuels. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

beenthere

Here is vid of doe protecting her fawn. Put a hurt on a dog and a scare into a cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JgtT9uKWdA
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Poor dog didn't know what hit him.  That lady watched too many disney movies.

Deer will do that to people to.  That's why I don't try to get near them without a weapon ;).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ely

that voice of reason you hear in the background is probably the same lady that feeds them in their backyard and demonstrasizes the neighbors for hunting deer. ;D
love it.

chain

Quote from: ely on July 08, 2010, 09:37:52 AM
i have found that if you take one of the deer out of the bean field.... that is one less deer that will be eating your beans.
i have also found that it is not hard at all to find enough people to consume a deer in three days.

I'm giving them all a chance to clear out, hoping they'll begin feeding in neighbors corn and grain sorghum fields ;D I just havn't had time to tend to them just yet but, I will.

Jeff, I didn't know that about doe splitting fawns up, I figured they would all get back together late last night or this a.m.

WDH

Hard to believe that the dog just laid there and took that beating.  Seems like it would have run off.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Deer and other members of the deer family are very protective of their young.

Every once in a while someone is killed by a moose in Alaska.
All because they got a little too close to their little one.

A dog or cat when attacked like that has a tendency to roll up in a ball to try and protect themselves.

We've been seeing lots of fawns in the field behind our house since the hay has been cut and baled.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

the jack russel i had would have had a mouth ful of deer early on in that foray. he still would have taken a beating just the same though. i seen it happen many times over. he would lay up a few days then get back to the job at hand,... which was running deer off.

Magicman

It probably made him hate them even more.  He was just doing his job.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Quote from: Chuck White on July 09, 2010, 08:57:10 AM
We've been seeing lots of fawns in the field behind our house since the hay has been cut and baled.

The coyotes get a bunch of them around here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Not too many deer around here, but there are 2 or 3 does. They had a couple fawns I know. My cousin had a guy mistakenly run over one with the bush hog and just missed the other one. They won't move until your on top of them. I have almost stepped on them in the woods, the shoe was inches from their carcass. Scare the "B-geesas' out of ya, as Candy would say.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

That WAS one dumb dog! Why would he not run off, like the smarter cat did? ???
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!