iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More on the LT28

Started by Qweaver, July 06, 2010, 11:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I needed to cut 21' 2x10s for my saw shed and the LT28 is supposed to cut 21'.  I cut the logs at 21'1" and I had about an inch on each end to spare.   So it will cut 21' + but make your end cuts square!  ;D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

customdave

So your saying 20' 2" is going to tight?, good to know about the square cuts! :) This is good too know.... Play safe!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Brucer

Both my LT40's (manual & Hydraulic) have/had a carriage travel of 21'-0 1/8". If you cut the logs absolutely square, and just brushed the starting end with the teeth, that was enough for the teeth (but not the band) to emerge at the other end of a 21' log.

I found that logs tend to creep down the mill as you turn them.

And I learned from Arky that you can pick up a couple of inches by removing the bumpers at either end of the mill. Actually, removing the bumper at the back end may not give you as much extra as you want because the drive sprocket may hit the chain adjuster. If you regularly need the extra room, you can add a couple of links to the chain and move the adjuster back further ;D.

I learned to shuttle logs to cut the odd piece over 21'. Last year I had an order with dozens of 24' timbers, so I bought a 6' extension, giving me almost 27' of cutting room. I still ended up shuttling a couple of logs -- 31' and 29'. This year I have an order with several dozen 30' timbers, so I bought a second 6' extension. Now I have almost 33' of cutting room -- and the customer just asked me to saw two 34' timbers as well.

Don't matter how long your mill is, someone will always want something cut a little longer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

paul case

would 1 customer pay the extra that the extension costs just to get his 34' timbers? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

MartyParsons

Just be careful about removing the bumpers at the operator end. The contact brush will short out and blow the fuse on hydraulics mills!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Brucer

Quote from: MartyParsons on July 07, 2010, 10:55:37 AM
Just be careful about removing the bumpers at the operator end. The contact brush will short out and blow the fuse on hydraulics mills!

Never had that happen, Marty. I hadn't even thought of it. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out how it could happen -- and why it doesn't (yet).

My biggest concern with pulling the bumper at the operator end is forgetting I've done it and banging the carriage into the metal stop. That's not a good feeling, and hard on the mill. I never remove the bumper and leave it off -- it's just a trick for getting me out of a tough spot.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!