iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna L77

Started by DextorDee, July 06, 2010, 05:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DextorDee

I have a husky L77 and read on the internet that it was a cold weather saw and prone to vapor lock in hot weather. Is that a truth or is somebody blowing smoke? It seems mine is doing something like that it runs til it gets hot and dies, let it cool, it will crank and run a while longer it just started doing this sounds like it is out gas but its not. While using it the last time it stopped and smoke boiled out of it. Couldn't pull the cord something locked down. Time to go to the house not working on a chainsaw in the woods. A couple of days later I do a pull just to make sure it was was shot, and it cranks and runs. So, whats up with this saw? Anybody?
It has been a great saw. I think its time to get a lighter saw my back and body just ain't that young no more.
Looking at the Husky 440 at Tractor Supply. Any help or advise?
Thanks
Ken

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

John Mc

You do realize that the Husky 440 is a lot less saw than your L77, don't you? Here's a link to some info on the Husky L77. It's a 77cc saw, vs. the husky 440's 41cc.

The 440 is designed for occasional use... which may be fine if that's how you are going to use it. I used to own a Jonsered 2141, which is similar to the Husky 440. It ran well, and held up fine for my use at the time. But as my needs increased, I found myself always wishing for more power. I lean towards smaller saws anyway, but have decided that for my needs, a good 50cc saw is about as small as I want to go (if I was an arborist, working in the treetops, I might feel differently).

If you tell us a bit about how you plan to use the saw there are folks here who can steer you to the right saw (trimming/pruning/storm cleanup vs. bucking firewood from 20" hardwood logs, for example... a few times a year vs. regular use, etc.).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jteneyck

Strange why it locked up on you and then pulled over OK the next day.  I'm guessing that saw has no compression relief valve on it, correct?, so maybe it was just really hard to pull over when it was hot.  77 cc's is no slouch to pull if the compression is good.  Does your saw have a summer/winter shutter that lets air into the carb. area from aroiund the cylinder?  My 55 Rancher does.  When you pull off the carb. /air filter cover, there is a semi-white plastic "air dam" that has a hole about 1" in dia. with a plastic disc that rotates to either open or close the hole off.  You open it for cold weather use and close it for warm weather.  If yours were to have such a device and it was open that could cause vapor lock in hot weather.  Just a thought.  Otherwise, hmmm.  Are you using fresh, premium fuel?  And if it's got alcohol in it, the carb. would need to be set richer.  Could be the ignition module I suppose.  Sometimes they cut out when they get too hot, and run fine again when they cool down.  Next time this happens, pull the plug and see if you still have spark, assuming you can pull it over.

As for new saws, as the first response said - depends upon your needs.  I've got saws in most displacement ranges, which is handy but certainly not a requirement.  If I had to get by with only one saw for cutting firewood and general clean-up, I'd consider a 357XP or MS-361 in the pro range, or the 372XP if you need something a little larger.  The MS-361 at just over 12 lbs. is quite a saw if you can find one.  I'm not a pro, and am happy with my MS-290 for firewood cutting. 

John Mc

I'd second the recommendation on the 357XP. I have one, and it's a great saw, at least for what I run into in my area (I'm only occasionally running in to stuff larger than the 16" bar I have on it, so have't bothered with a bigger bar).

But we really need to hear about what you are cutting to make an intelligent recommendation.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

01crewcab

Another thing to consider is your spark plug. Back when your saw was made you had to use different range heat plugs depending on the season, at least my old 2100's and 480's were that way.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

peppone

we are speaking about a chainsaw of 30 years ago or more...I have an L65 but I never had this problems...
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

DextorDee

Yea, the 440 will be less, I'm thinking thats gonna be better for me I'm not in that good a shape  anymore. I only cut trees that die or blow down on my place and not been able to keep up lately.  Here lately Iv'e not been doing alot of chainsawing or sawmilling. Just need a saw for a few times a year, I retired in 07 seems like my body did to.
The L77 has been a great saw but it seems to have gained weight and now thats its giving me a problem thought maybe I needed something a little lighter.
No compression relief that I have found, I wish. Nothing in the carb area to close or open that I can see. I was told at one dealer he couldn't get parts for this saw anymore. Thats another reason I was thinking it was time to get another newer saw.
Mostly cut beetle kill pines. When it started acting up I was cutting some red oak, got one cut and started on another one, didn't get all the way though the butt and it stopped. I didn't mind to much cause its been hot in Georgia and I don't do hot like I use to.
Got serveral blow down oaks that I would like to put on the mill and try to get something I can maybe use. Not just let em lay and rot.
Quote from: peppone on July 07, 2010, 02:09:56 PM
we are speaking about a chainsaw of 30 years ago or more...I have an L65 but I never had this problems...
I think maybe it needs to be in a antique store. Maybe somebody collects these old saws. ???
Thanks for all the replys. Don't know what I would do without the Forestry Forum.
Ken
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

JohnG28

I have a Husky 142 thats about 5-6yrs old, and for work like you say it worked out well, as long as your not getting into anything much more than 12" dia.  Might look into something around 50cc like previously suggested, makes a little more versatile.  Good luck.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

John Mc

If you are looking mainly at Husky saws, take a look at the 353. It's a midrange saw, just a tad over 11 pounds for the powerhead. 51.7cc, 3.3 HP.  I own Jonsered's sister saw, the 2152, and have used a 353 on a number of occasions. List price is a good bit higher than the 440, but worth it in my opinion.

The 346 XP is also a great saw in that size range, and a pro-level saw.

For occasional use, the 440 will work, but if you don't want to step up the the saws mentioned above, I'd at least consider bumping up the size a bit to the 450. You get a 33% increase in HP for only about 6 ounces increase in weight. The 450 goes for roughly $100 less than the saws mentioned above. (The 455 model bumps up the power even more, but at a significantly bigger bump in weight).

John Mc

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on July 07, 2010, 11:03:07 AM
I'd second the recommendation on the 357XP. I have one, and it's a great saw, at least for what I run into in my area (I'm only occasionally running in to stuff larger than the 16" bar I have on it, so have't bothered with a bigger bar).

But we really need to hear about what you are cutting to make an intelligent recommendation.

I believe the 357xp will be obsoleted pretty soon, as the replacement is about ready! 8) 8)
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on July 08, 2010, 07:21:20 AM
I believe the 357xp will be obsoleted pretty soon, as the replacement is about ready! 8) 8)

Any details on what the saw is like?

JohnG28

I was wondering the same thing.  Is it larger displacement than the current model? ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on July 08, 2010, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on July 08, 2010, 07:21:20 AM

Any details on what the saw is like?

Yes, but it is on a competing site, so I can't post a link.

So far it looks like it will beat the MS362 both on weight (by a lot) and power (just .1kW). It also is an Autotune, for good or bad..... :)

It remains to see what the truth is........ 8) 8) 8)

The pics I have seen is of a pre-production 560xp, and it is a quite radical design, for a Husky. According to my info, there also will be a 562xp that is the same basic saw, except it takes a large mount bar, and weights a tad more - but still a lot less than the MS362.

I believe this will be the first Husky that make full use of the Zenoah/Redmax "strato" patents.
Information collector.

John Mc

Thanks for the info, SawTroll.

Does beating the MS 362's 13 lbs weight by "a lot" mean that it will come ni close to what the current 357XP weighs (spec is 12.1, but I've been told that's a bit optimistic... I've never weighed mine, however).

Sounds like it's going to be in a nice position for power and weight.

John Mc

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on July 09, 2010, 04:16:06 PM
Thanks for the info, SawTroll.

Does beating the MS 362's 13 lbs weight by "a lot" mean that it will come ni close to what the current 357XP weighs (spec is 12.1, but I've been told that's a bit optimistic... I've never weighed mine, however).

Sounds like it's going to be in a nice position for power and weight.

John Mc

The (preliminary) specs I read said 11.9lbs for the 560xp and 12.3 for the 562xp - but I have no idea how true thay are!  You are right about the 357xp specs - but there is a story behind that.....
Information collector.

nmurph

(spec is 12.1, but I've been told that's a bit optimistic... I've never weighed mine, however).John Mc

my 357 weighed a couple of tenths shy of 13lbs, cleaned, with no fluids, and dawgs attached.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on July 09, 2010, 06:53:02 PM
... the current 357XP weighs (spec is 12.1, but I've been told that's a bit optimistic... I've never weighed mine, however).

... You are right about the 357xp specs - but there is a story behind that.....

OK, I'll bite... what's the story?

Al_Smith

I have never seen the model of saw in question .However on accasion the solid state ignition moduals will fail if they get over heated .This of course will cause the saw to stop running .After they cool down they start right back up .I experianced the very same thing on a Mac PM 610

Often times an accumulation of saw chips will cause an over heat condition because it blocks air flow .Most times a good cleaning will solve that problem .Another thing you can do is have a short cool down period prior to refueling as that is often when the moduals fail .

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on July 12, 2010, 08:43:27 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on July 09, 2010, 06:53:02 PM

... You are right about the 357xp specs - but there is a story behind that.....

OK, I'll bite... what's the story?

They found that they needed to reinforce the case at a very eary stage in production, but never changed the weight specs.
Information collector.

FYRWOOD GUY

Quote from: DextorDee on July 06, 2010, 05:22:21 PM
I have a husky L77 and read on the internet that it was a cold weather saw and prone to vapor lock in hot weather. Is that a truth or is somebody blowing smoke? It seems mine is doing something like that it runs til it gets hot and dies, let it cool, it will crank and run a while longer it just started doing this sounds like it is out gas but its not. While using it the last time it stopped and smoke boiled out of it. Couldn't pull the cord something locked down. Time to go to the house not working on a chainsaw in the woods. A couple of days later I do a pull just to make sure it was was shot, and it cranks and runs. So, whats up with this saw? Anybody?
It has been a great saw. I think its time to get a lighter saw my back and body just ain't that young no more.
Thanks
Ken

yup, it's true the L77 is a wonderfull winter saw.
i would stay away from 440 if you like way L77 cuts
 i would wait untill new gen 357 replacement here and try one of those, or 562...you'll be glad you did wait. i am presently running 357XP &  XPG.had no problems so far. 1st execution version.

i'm chompin' at the bit fer one of them new ones 
keep your SHARP chain tight don't force a dull chain to cut

FYRWOOD GUY

Quote from: DextorDee on July 06, 2010, 05:22:21 PM
Thanks
Ken

keep your SHARP chain tight don't force a dull chain to cut

DextorDee

I took the saw back out for some light work and it run just fine. I did take the covers off and clean it before trying it maybe that helped.
Thanks again for all your replys
Ken
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Thank You Sponsors!