iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meeting member alsayyed

Started by LeeB, July 04, 2010, 03:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Just got onshore from the rig and gave Mr. Alsayyed a call. He will come by in a couple of hours to pick me up for a tour of his mill. I'll get some pics with my phone.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

Now, that's pretty amazing.  He signs up for some sawmill advise, now he gets visitors.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Captain

Awesome!!  The Forestry Forum is truly a connection for people all over the world!

Captain

DanG

This must be mind boggling for Alsayyed.  I'll bet he was surprised to even get an answer to his first post here, and now he is getting a visitor all the way from Arkansas! :o 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scsmith42

Fantastic!  This has got to be one of the longest range FF visits ever!  Can't wait to see the photo's.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

I had a lovely visit with Ahmed. He is a wonderful and gracious host. First stop was to his home and some tinkering with his new Norwood mill. We aligned the blade tracking and adjusted the tention. During all thid the blade that was on the mill was vibrating badly and actually jumped off the mill. On inspection I found it to have been welded in three different places, came from Norwood this way. The welds were poor and misaligned. Put on a new blade and everything was much better. Ahmed was pleased. I did burn my finger on the exaust during all of this but it'll heal up. The drive pully on the drive wheel is not centered to the sahft and I think this may cause problems. Overal,l Ahmed is not real happy with his mill. He has built his own trailer package for it and it is quite well done. After a cup of tea,we then got in his car and headed to his milling sight, which is another property he owns about 15 minutes away from his home. He has another trailer there that he uses for log hauling and I saw his drying set up. Ahmed has a few logs and some are quite interesting. He actually has Mesquite which surprised me to see. He also has several real cedar logs of nice shape and size. I saw some of the wood from the cedar and it is really quite pretty. Nothing at all like what we call cedar. We didn't do any milling because his mill is at his home while he finishes the trailer package but I did get some saw dust on me from it there. I only had a few hours to spend with Ahmed because of flight schedule and a meeting with my boss. I'll try to make time for another visit next trip. I'll post pictures when I get home. I gotta catch my plight now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

This is great!   Thank you for allowing us to be a part of the visit.

I've always been so impressed with Norwood's manufacturing.  In the few mills I've seen locally, they all show a great attention to detail.  Why, do you suppose, Ahmed's mill suffers from misalignment.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Norwood company was monitoring this thread.  What an opportunity it would be to get their name and reputation distributed so far away.

Alsayyed, You are a mosts interesting member. First you start with a chainsaw and hadn't the experience to put the chain on correctly.  You came to the forum for advice and camaraderie and now own a bandmill and are getting visits from the middle of the USA.  I don't know how to say that I'm so proud of your perseverance other than to say, "I'm so proud of your perseverance."  Most who have encountered your frustrations would have laid all the blame on someone else and quit.  It's a mark of your character that you keep plugging on, and I'm proud of you as a Forestry Forum member.  :)

Piston

That's awesome you were able to visit another member so far away 8)

what rig do you work on?  I'm on the Luigs and work for TO.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

LeeB

The Key Hawaii. I wondered if you worked for TO by the pposts you made concerning the Horizon. What do you do on the Luigs?

Piston

I'm a sr dpo.  I'm also traveling home today and in and out of airports. I wonder how many other members have maritime related jobs.  ???
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

LeeB

There are a couple working tn the GOM and at least one Helo pilot working somewhere in the ME or SEA,

fishpharmer

Lee and Ahmed, our international diplomats speaking the universal language of "sawmill". :)

It makes me especially proud to be a small fraction of this amazing community. 8)

I am looking forward to hearing from Ahmed and seeing the photos.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

How great it is for two people with a common interest to be able to visit and what a wonderful endorsement for The Forestry Forum.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

justgot in a little while ago. I'll see if I can figure how to get the pictures from phone to forum tommorow. Too beat tonight to attempt it.

alsayyed

Hello everybody I was surprised when I saw the post by mr. leeb. I have happy  times meeting leeb and I am glad to meet other no problem. This is how friendship should be.
   Yes unfortunately I have purchased Norwood after waiting for almost 4 months to be manufactured. I have called Norwood several times they tell me this is a mistake in design we will corrected it and will send you the parts. Even the welding on the carriage post is week. I have discovered many things which are should not be like that. I have saved my money to buy Norwood then at the end I get saw mill that not designed perfectly. 
I tried to mill yesterday but found out the drive belt jump all the times. I have talked to Norwood they told me to replace with a new belt.
   But I did not buy the trailer option because I am good at making trailers. So I built mine which 100% stronger than in the catalog. It cost me for the bubs and axle and brackets total cost will be $ 200.

I will post some photo. This message for everybody let me tell it is much better than chain saw milling it dose make difference. Thank Tom than DangG.
If any members of the forum passing by just call me from the airport or from the hotel just call me or drop an email.
Today I am going to buy a new belt and try to mill what has left over from the cider wood.

LeeB

Ahmed, did you manage to adjust the tension on the drive belt? Also check to see if the drive pully from the engineand the pully on the drive wheel are properly aligned. I'm pretty sure I remember there being some adjustmen slots on the motor ounting boltsto adjust the motor for alignment in and out and you should be able to tension the drive belt as we talked about by adjusting the cable that engages the belt.

Mike@Norwood

Hi all

We do our very best to design and fabricate top-notch equipment.  As you all know, we have just launched two brand new sawmill designs – the LumberMate Pro MX34 and the LumberLite ML26. 

The LM Pro MX34 isn't a basic machine – it's a big, very functional piece of equipment.  Even with all its new functions and even though our factory tooling and programmed drawings in our CNC, robotic welders and lasers are new, we're very happy to report that hundreds of new Norwood owners are happily, and productively, milling with their new LumberMate Pros.

Like everyone, we're not perfect.  We take every bit of feedback that we receive and see how we can do better.  In fact, the genesis of the LM Pro MX34 is customer feedback – features and improvements that Norwood owners asked for.  So, we'll tweak our equipment where it needs to be tweaked and we'll tweak our manuals where they need to be tweaked. 

As with any piece of equipment, fully reading and faithfully following the owner's manual, are key to a successful outcome.  And whether a Norwood owner has had his mill for 15 years or 15 minutes, we always welcome their calls for advice or assistance. 

Happy milling folks!

Mike at Norwood

Okrafarmer

Any updates? I'd like to know if alsayyed got his mill working well after all. I am considering buying a used Norwood, and I am trying to see what problems to avoid, so I would appreciate an update. Are you still out there, alsayyed?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LeeB

To my knowledge, he did get it going his way. He made a few posts after this thread and one just a couple months back, But I haven't seen him on much any more. Too bad really. It's always nice to see what's sawing in the rest of the world. I regret that I never had the chance to visit him again while I was working over there, but my flights in and out were always within a couple of hours of going to and coming in from the rig.

LeeB

I never realized I didn't post  the pictures. A little late, but better late than never.

LeeB

The first two pictures are Alsayyed's home. The rest are of another property he owns where he keeps his stash of logs. Logs are hard to come by in Bahrain and he told me he tries to get every one he can. Many come from the municipal services when one must be taken down for some reason. I had some more pictures but can't find them now. I think they were on my now lost phone. Should have downloaded them.  :(

DanG

Well Lee, since it took you two years to post those, I don't feel too bad about taking a week to thank you for them.  :D :D  I'm glad to finally see what our friend Alsayyed looks like, and to see how his operation has progressed.  That is quite a log pile for somewhere that has no trees.  I'll bet a log could sit for a long time without rotting in that climate!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

clww

Not a whole lot of trees in Bahrain, for sure! The only bugs I encountered there were dung beetles, spiders, and thousands of flies.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!