iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I've been up to!

Started by tyb525, July 03, 2010, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Yesterday I started on an order for 48 red oak timbers, 3x8x5'. Got almost half of them cut yesterday (ran out of logs), I cut them from 11' logs and then cut them in half when I was done. Today I planed them all ::). Luckily that gave me an excuse to buy an electric hand planer. 8) Once I got into a rhythm, it went pretty smoothly!

The timbers.

A 26" red oak, big for my mill but I'm sure it's pretty common for you guys with LT40HDs ;).

A cookie cut from the 26" oak (26" one way, 24" the other) coated with Anchorseal.

Any tips on drying a cookie like this? It's 8" thick.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Buck

pretty good lookin stuff. whatcha gonna use em for?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: tyb525 on July 03, 2010, 01:41:53 PM

Use walnut butterflies to stabalize the cracks  ;D

Herb

Gary_C

Quote from: tyb525 on July 03, 2010, 01:41:53 PM

Ya, plan on it splitting somewhere, you just don't know where. Then if you don't like the crack, cut it in halves carefully and glue it back together.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tyb525

Yeah, I planned on the cracks :) The timbers are for a customer building a timber frame house nearby.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

There certainly is satisfaction in sawing jobs like that, and then getting paid for it.   ;) :)  You get a joy in your heart both times.  Good looking job.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

Besides the money, it's really neat to see your work in someone's house :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ty its a great feeling when your hard work goes into somthing like a building thats going to be there for along time thats why i like cutting biulding orders and also how i feel about all the log homes i built with Dad years ago Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

I'll start tomorrow sawing for a home addition.  It will be a vaulted ceiling room with glass from floor to roof.  I haven't seen the cut list yet showing beams, etc.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Wahl

There was an article in IS&WM several months ago about how to do that.
Sorry I don't remember what issue it was in.

Pauls' Bunion
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

WDH

Ty,

At this rate, it won't be long and you will have more than paid for the LT10!  Very nice looking beams.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

If you count all the lumber I have sawn for my/our own use, I'm pretty confident it already is paid for :) I want to thank the FF for giving me 99.9% of the knowledge I have about sawing, logging, etc. 8)

dewwood

Good looking timbers.  Looking forward to seeing you again at the Piggy Party.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Thank You Sponsors!