iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar & chain ?

Started by David_c, October 31, 2003, 08:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

Hi guys i was wondering if i can use the B/C from my husky372 with a 3/8 pitch .058 gauge on my stihl460 with 3/8 pitch .050 gauge. Or will i need to change the sprocket? If so which gauge would be best.
 It would be nice to not have differant bars and chains for each.

Kevin

The bar mounts are different on those two saws and the driver count on the same length of bar for each saw is different.
The answer to your question would be no bar match and no chain match, although the file remains the same.  ;D

David_c

Thanks Kevin
i knew i could'nt but i was hopping to be able to have several bars and chains to be able to use on each instead of having to buy several for each. :(

Kevin

That's always a consideration when having two saws to work with.
If you ever wanted to change one it would be an easy sell because they are both good saws.

Engineer

Only way you're going to accomplish what you want is to get rid of one of the two saws and buy a similar size saw in the brand that you keep.  I'd dump the 372 in favor of an 066, but you may feel the opposite.  You can't mount a Stihl bar on a Husky and vise versa.

Jon E

David_c

well i think for now i'll just have to suffer ;D

jokers

Ok David_p, now that everyone has had a chance to sound off, I`ll provide you with the right answer, because it works and also allows you to keep both saws. Besides you need some good information after having someone tell you to get rid of the 372 in favor of an 066?

You have two options, buy an .050x3/8x20" or 24" bar for your Husky, depending on what length you already have for the 460, because both bars use the same # of drive links in 3/8 pitch or contact Walker`s Saw Shop and order a bar adapter for less than $10 that will let you run your Stihl bar on the Husky.

The rims don`t care what gauge chain you run, only pitch.

Russ

Kevin

Russ;
Is Walkers fabricating an aftermarket adapter or is someone else making it?
The mounts are different so there wouldn't be an option, he would have to have the adapter regardless, wouldn't he?
The 18" bars are two drivers different for some reason but the 20 and 24"are the same.
Thanks for correcting that.

David_c

thanks Russ thats what i will do.
kevin is what you are saying is even if i get the adapter i would'nt be able to use the same 18" chain on both? if so same bar would'nt be a problm would it? if not i could just buy two 18" chains. it would be a heck of a lot cheaper this way than 3 b/c for each.

Kevin

I can't see how you could use the Stihl bar on the Husqvarna without this adapter because the mounts are totally different but I'll wait until I hear more on that as I wasn't aware of an aftermarket adapter.(I'm guessing it's a spacer of some type)
The 18"bars on the two saws using the same rim are two drivers different.
The husky bar takes 68 drivers and the Stihl takes 66.
Without having the saws and chains I can't say for sure but you might be able to split the difference and have one chain fit both bars now that I hear there's an adapter.
I like to get the back of the bar as close to the rim as possible and still have plenty of movement in the alignment of the oil holes.

David_c

Kevin i remeber seeing something about that before and forgot. but i am going to see if i can get one. i was on walkers web but cant find it so i might need to call. i'll let you know how it goes.

Kevin

I have never seen it advertised on their site but it sounds like a simple yet good idea.

David_c

definatly seems like a $ saver 8). i have tried the search mode but keeps coming up no matches found. i have found referance to it on arborsite.

Kevin

It looks like it fills the extra space in the Stihl bar so it will fit on the Husqvarna mount.

David_c

yeh i have been trying to get the picture of the one i have seen web address but it doesnt seem to work i'll keep trying if you would like.

David_c

that first one was the one i tried but could'nt get to work. heres a good one to Kevin when you get there go to kdhotsaws.
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=5365eb851135ad65c984cfb0eb02e03b&threadid=4956&highlight=bar+adapter
if you tried it Kevin and had a problm try again i had to correct my mistakes its all set now.

Kevin

Good deal if everything lines up properly, I would certainly consider it.

David_c

if it works it will definatly be nice and for $10 it is surely a $ saver. well see and i'll let you know one way or the other.

jokers

Hi Kevin
I don`t know if Walkers are making the adapters or if they are buying them from someone else. It seems to me that I also heard from a west coast friend that they had purchased them from Madsens also.

Gypo and several other guys seem to run the adapters regularly with no problems. I don`t need one because I`ve got bars and chains coming out my ears.  :o

David_p
Now might be a good time to outfit your 372 with a 20" or 24" bar. 18" is undergunned for this saw. There are many good mail order places to shop for bars and chains if your local dealers are not helpful or are too pricey. Try Commercial Cutters, Jeff Sikkema(S&S Saw Shop), Madsen`s, or Bailey`s.

Let`s see if I can insert a few links.
//www.snssawshop.com

//www.commercialcutters.com  

//www.%20baileys-online.com

//www.madsens1.com

Russ

David_c

hey russ the 372 has a 20" bar on it. the 460 has a 24" bar on it.

Thank You Sponsors!