iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No More Corrective Lenses

Started by Corley5, July 02, 2010, 09:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I had LASIK yesterday at the Kellogg Eye Center at U of M in Ann Arbor.  For the 1st time in more than 30 years I woke up this morning and could see without fumbling for my glasses  8) 8) 8)  My vision is still a touch cloudy but it'll clear up in a few days.  I've got a followup later today with the surgeon.  Pretty DanG  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patty

That is awesome Corley! Both of my sisters have had the surgery, and boy what a difference it has made in their lives. You will love your new freedom from glasses.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

I had this done years ago to just one eye I am near sighted so kept one eye for close up and had one fixed for distance. Sure did change things!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Nice to hear about the successful operations.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I tested 20/20 this afternoon  8) 8)  Still a bit hazy but that should clear up within a week.  The starburst at night is kinda bothersome and will take a bit longer to go away but I'm happy  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  Gotta wear shields over my eyes for a week whenever I sleep so I don't unknowingly rub my eyes and the Dr. agreed that I should wear a pair of MX goggles for at least week while working in the hay to keep the dust out.  I've got to see her again in a week too.
  I got my 1st pair of glasses when I was 6 years old, and my 1st contacts at 16 which I've worn 99.9% of my waking hours for the last 25 years.  I had to wear glasses for a few weeks prior to the surgery and every morning out of habit I reached for my contact case as soon as I was out of the shower.  This is gonna be really  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 

Bro. Noble

8)That's great,  I'm happy for you 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Burlkraft

That's great Greg   8)  8)  8)

You won't regret it!

I had mine done 10 years ago and I think it's time for anudder little adjustment  ::)  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Kansas

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 02, 2010, 09:41:39 AM
I had this done years ago to just one eye I am near sighted so kept one eye for close up and had one fixed for distance. Sure did change things!

I am also nearsighted, worn glasses since the 2nd grade. I have never heard of having on eye done, and the other for closeup. Do you have problems with depth perception?
How long did it take you to get used to it. The reason I never did lasik is that the doctor told me I would trade nearsightedness for farsightedness.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Kansas on July 03, 2010, 12:22:16 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on July 02, 2010, 09:41:39 AM

I am also nearsighted, worn glasses since the 2nd grade. I have never heard of having on eye done, and the other for closeup. Do you have problems with depth perception?
How long did it take you to get used to it. The reason I never did lasik is that the doctor told me I would trade nearsightedness for farsightedness.

They call it mono vision. Many do the same thing by only wearing one contact. The only real issue is that I picked the wrong eye to change for a right hand shooter. It only effects me when I'm shooting. I shoot both eyes open and my right eye is the long distance one. Can't see the sights.

OneWithWood

Welcome to the club, Corley  8)

I had my Lasik done many years ago.  One of my better moves.

My WOW! moment came when I dropped the soap in the shower and could actually see it  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

I am nearsighted as well, but not bad. I cut brush without glasses and just wear the safety screened glasses and can see just fine. My vision hasn't changed for 25 years, same prescription. The doc suggested that I will likely end up with cataracts, something she sees in here eye exams. Father had one uncle that has 2 or 3 procedures for them and grandmother (mom's mother) had them, but didn't have any procedure. No way you was gonna get that old woman to no surgeon. She had a gall bladder that needed removed and when it was it was non functioning and withered.  Never complained her whole life about nothing. :D

Not quite as bad and Dell's buddy's wife that had her baby sideways and never screamed or nothing (Plains,Trains and Automobiles - J. Candy and S. Martin). Oh, I'm back in baby's arms.......... Hey! Those aren't pillows! :D :D :D

Congratulations with your successful operation Corley.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Is this something you need to save up for, or is it typically covered by an insurance plan?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Last time I checked, insurance wouldn't cover it.

WDH

Like Raider, I too have mono vision with one eye that can see close and one that can see far.  Mine is done with contact lenses. 

Way to go Greg!  I probably need to have it done as well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

I had LASIK done 5 years ago, and it's been great!

welcome to the club :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Raider Bill

Jeff,

I don't think any insurance plan covers this. But figure the price of a pair of glasses and perscription sunglasses every couple years and it pays for it's self fast. Plus no more glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up the next morning and could read the time on VCR box in bedroom for the first time ever.

Mine cost $595.00 one eye.

Corley5

As a member of the Mi. State Emp. Association a portion was paid for my correction and Dee's.  We both got it done and this Friday is my last day as a state employee.  One fringe I wanted to take advantage of before I left  ;) ;D 
  I caught myself reaching for my glasses to take them off before I got in the shower this morning  :)  It's cool.  Still got a little haze now and then and the halos around lights but it's getting better.  I'd do it again in heartbeat.

fishpharmer

Congrats Corley, your another of long list of folks I know that had successful eye surgery.  The price for Lasik around here has steadily dropped for the last ten years.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Your insurance might cover it if you have vision on. I never put that on mine, the premium was too high as it was for dentistry. They wanted way more than I would pay out of pocket on my own.  My premiums are high as it is. They have doubled in less than 10 years, about 8% a year it seems. I don't know how their calculated costs go up, because everyone else pretty much has the same wage they did 10 years ago around here. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DR_Buck

Quote from: Burlkraft on July 02, 2010, 11:17:33 PM
That's great Greg   8)  8)  8)

You won't regret it!

I had mine done 10 years ago and I think it's time for anudder little adjustment  ::)  ::)  ::)

Wow ! Steve. That was 7 years before you were born.  :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Raider Bill

Quote from: DR_Buck on July 07, 2010, 05:59:19 PM
Quote from: Burlkraft on July 02, 2010, 11:17:33 PM
That's great Greg   8)  8)  8)

You won't regret it!

I had mine done 10 years ago and I think it's time for anudder little adjustment  ::)  ::)  ::)

Wow ! Steve. That was 7 years before you were born.  :D

Planned parenthood...............

Left Coast Chris

Last time I checked it costs around $3k out here to have it done to both eyes.  Havent had it done yet due to cost.    If it was $595 per eye back there it sounds like a plane ticket could be the answer.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Burlkraft

Haven't you heard of pre-natal lasik?  :D  :D  :D

I was just at the eye doc two weeks ago.

I thought my sight had gone a bit south, but upon further review all I need is readers.
She told me that what I am dealing with now is "old eyes" and surgery can't correct that.
She was impressed that I had the procedure done so long ago and my sight is still that good.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!