iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a job coming up...

Started by sigidi, July 01, 2010, 09:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

So I've been waiting for this job (sometimes a bit impatiently;D) since January. I was onsite for two days to dock logs and make the two piles...

This is the first pile...

The second pile...

both piles from the side, you can just see my 372XP with 24" bar sitting on a log in the second pile - looks a bit like a toy lined up with these guys ;D

The customer jumped in the bucket of the excavator and took this pic of my ute parked next to both piles...

The logs on the bottom of the piles and any 'full length' logs are all 8m (24') long in both piles - so almost all the logs are 8m long  ;D
Almost all the logs are spotted gum, a good Aussie hardwood, which has great strength ratings and nice even grain, it can tend to have lots of tension especially when cutting smaller diameter, long logs and weighs more than water once seasoned.

I've been hired to cut the logs to make a deck to be added to the customers house. The deck will be all four sides of the house, being 4m (13') deep and cover an area of 250sqm (2,690sq ft) I'm cutting the bearers, joists, pole plates, 6"x6" posts, rafters, battens and the decking for the whole deck.

Starting Monday, so will let you know how I go when I get back  8) ;D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Cedarman

Long, straight, not much taper, good size,  should be a pleasurable job.  NICE!!!! 8) 8)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

paul case

thats a nice whack of logs .i rekon the sawdust is gonna be flying for a day or two.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

That whack looks like a sawyer's dream.  Keep the sawdust flying.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

Allan Nice Job Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) But the waiting part is a killer with some people sometimes aint it mate  ;) Happy sawing it looks like You n Bo have at least 70m3 to go through Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

Looks like a real nice saw-job.  8)

I'd like to have one like that, although the logs would have to be a little shorter.  ;)

The way you talk, you will be required to travel some distance for this job.

Well, good luck to you.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

brdmkr

WOW,

Looks like the Lucas will be a bit busy.  Go get 'em Sigidi
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

fishpharmer

Who does the stacking and stickering?  Should make some big stacks.

For the last month or so I have had a fascination for those Lucas saw jobs. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sigidi

Yeah, looks great hey?

Fishpharmer, the stacking and stickering is gonna be a young fella I'm hiring to help out, it's just a bit too big for me on my own :D

Brbmkr, I'm hell psyched about the job.

Chuck, I'm not gonna keep 'em all 8m long, but I do have a few 7.9m (24') long beams to cut, so they will stay, but most will end up being docked in half. Spotty is too problematic in long lengths due to tension. For this job it's a touch over 1 hour driving about 52miles each way, so I'm gonna maximise cutting time by staying local.

Chris, this job will make waiting to play with Bo all the more worthwhile ;) I hope there is 50cube in the piles as that's what I've calculated I will need for his cut list.

MM, it's definitely a bit of a dream - I'm 3 days out and excited as heck already  8) ;D

Paul and Cedarman they are some really nice looking logs, that's for sure  ;D ;)

Burlkraft

I haven't sawed that many straight logs since I started sawing, let alone at one time!  :D  :D  :D

Nice lookin' whack.

Keep us updated.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sigidi

Ok so I tried doing this already - bloody computer froze on me on the sawdust pic, so now it will be short and sweet...

Pic of customers house arriving on back of truck - turns out he paid for it 17 months ago, poor bugger...

First pile of logs after 1 week about 20-25 cubic metres of log fell under Bo Derricks charms...

pile of waste after 1 weeks cutting, most of it is docked into 10"-12" pieces ready for firewood...

Pile of timber after first week...

First time around I pointed out what all the piles where, how long the timber is and how much some of it weighs, but don't want this thing to freeze up on me again...

So here's the first weeks sawdust pic...

Chuck White

Looks like you got some very nice lumber.   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Whatever species it it, it looks pretty.  Sorta Mahogany looking.  Is that the Spotted Gum?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

Chuck it was a mongrel to cut some of the longer boards  :( a lot of tension in spotted gum over long lengths

MM here's a link to properties of our Aussie Spotted Gum, see how it compares with the mahogany you are talking about...

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/26_5162.htm

I'm going to put up a post on how I get 'around' tension in logs using a Lucas https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45068.0.html and still give decent timber

Meadows Miller

Gday

Allan Looking good Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)  I bet your loving Bo with an extra 12hp and 4" more of cut ;) ;D ;D 8) are you doing the two log pile in the one hit or are you just sawing the posts and the framing timber & then the decking and finnishing timber over two stints Mate I also see you have the 8meter ext on too  ;) Bows fine but Spring in a piece is a pita if you want to do a straitening cut in a piece you have already sawn that you dont like the look off the anti bounce strutt  comes in handy too it holds the  piece being saw nice and firm and it wont move on you  ;) ;D ;D  just drop it down ontop of the piece itll only just ease up on the feed when you get near the end Mate  ;)

Relocated places are a waste of money imho your only realy buying the frame the weather boards and flooring realy  for $10 to $15 K Then paying out another $25 to $35000 for the shift :o :) ::) it would have been easyer to build their place from scratch but that depends on your rules upthere  ;) ive never built a place up your way but down here you basicly have to gut the joint and replumb,wire, plaster/iine and re roof the house  ::) ::)

P.s i recon i was pretty close at 70m3 if thats whats left of the first pile and you still have abit of sawing left to go Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

2nd week saw us finish off the Frost pile, on our way back up there today - had some truck issues to deal with. Speaking of that I better head off, picking up the offsider at 0530, still gotta fuel Donkey and get my lunch, more pics coming lads  8) ;D ;) 8)

sigidi

So I forgot some pics for you blokes...

Here is where I am at on this job...

all the decking has been milled, around 3,200 lineal metres (10,500') of 4x1,this has been stickered out using 1' stickers and also strapped into packs. All the bearers are done, 5x3's some up to 7.7m (25' 4") long, more than half the (180 or so) joists are done 8x2 14' (4.3m) long and 110lb (50kg) each, all the verandah beams 6x2 again up to 7.7m long, all the roof battens 3x1.5" and many various lengths, all but 7 of the 6x6" verandah posts coming in at about 80 kg (176lb) each and a bunch of the rafters still need to be cut - 5x2" 4.7m (almost 15.5') long.

So here's the pics to date...

first pile of firewood - normally I don't cut the firewood for the customer (this is the first job I've ever done it) I just leave them the waste to do with as they see fit.

second pile of firewood. Already 6 or 7 trailers loads have left site full of firewood.

How I cut the firewood. I tail the waste into the posts neatly during milling,(posts are set just short of the bar length on my c/s)  once the pile gets a bit high I run the chainsaw down at 12" lengths to cut out wheelbarrows full of firewood as quick as possible. Firewood is then dumped over onto the firewood piles so the posts are free for more offcuts.

sawdust built up from milling the first pile of logs. my offsider got especially keen one afternoon and dug to the bottom of it to find the grass, after a lot more work than he wanted it ended up being just short of 3' to the grass ;D

sigidi

timber stacks. from right to left, the small long stack is all the 5x3 bearers. next to it is half the 8x2 joists. the 3 stacks off to the left side and a bit to the rear are all 4x1 for decking

bit clearer pic of some of the decking

again right to left and front to back, first stack is more decking - the two long boards have defects on the overhang and will get docked off, then the 6x6 posts, off to the left are the verandah beams 6x2's, right side and behind first stack of decking is another stack of 4x1 decking

the start of the second stack of 8x2 joists - over 100lb each stick ;D

'extra' timber the logs gave which wasn't in the cut list

the last of the logs left from the two piles at the beginning of the job - nearly done ;)

After the 3rd week,(11 days on this site and 2 days on another site) I had to return to my day job, so have now got to finish the rest of the job on weekends in between the day job - oh well, at least I get to keep slicing!!! Running up there again this weekend!!

Magicman

Very nice, and that is some HEAVY lumber.  No wonder that you need equipment to handle those logs.

Chuck White

Nice post sigidi !

That's a lot of lumber for one job.   Thanks for posting the pics.

paul case

from the pics it looks and sounds like lumber and firewood management and handling has been as time consuming as the sawing. nice looking lumber though and i bet the customer is pleased to get it. looks good . pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

I bet you don't need any meds to help you sleep at night.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!