iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catsclaw sharpening stones

Started by bandmiller2, June 30, 2010, 09:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I haven't been paying enough attention to my grinding stones because bands have been cutting so well.Worn almost to the paper and the left side of the stone was worn so I was getting 4 degree insted of the 10 the machine was set at.Replaced the wheel and set the angle at 8 degrees.If you don't keep the wheel dressed back you will reduce the hook angle as the tooth face side of the wheel wears,of course less hook is a good thing if you have the power.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

It's kinda hard to measure the hook as the wheel get rounded some, I used to profile my wheel to keep the face of the tooth straight, then tried letting it get rounded some which cut just as good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I keep mine pretty well profiled the way they were when I first got the machine.
Seems to work well for me.
I need to order some more stones/rocks pretty soon.  I've got the second one about 1/2 to 2/3 gone now.
I'll probably order 4-5 when I place my order.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

i have the same problem with my lil manual sharpener. all grind rocks are not created equal. buying good ones pays off. the cheapies not only wear off way fast, they come apart sometimes,and thats pretty spooky.
i ordered some blades from cooks the other day and bought a grind rock form them. didnt do the math first. the arbor is too small and it wont fit my sharpener. not too bad for one of my oops's only $12. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

LeeB

I try to keep a close eye on the rock and reshape pretty regular, sometimes more than once per blade but not often. The best thing for blade and rock both is to take really light cuts. I tried some of hte blue and pink rocks and just wasn't satisfied that the blades were any better sharpened and they sure don't last as long. They require too much attention to keeping the profile right also. I'll stick with the good old woodmiser rocks or I might try the black rocks from Cooks.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

I dress and profile my stone/rock every 3-4 blades.

I use the Cooks "blue rock" and it works out pretty well.

I can sharpen 100 blades with 1 rock.  Although, it's getting pretty small near the 100th blade.

It will get down to around ½" from the paper on the face of the rock.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

im would still be on my first blue rock that came from cooks with the sharpener if i hadn't messed with the face of the stone way back when i didnt know what i was doing ::) as if i know anymore now. ;D. i never touch the face with the dressing stone any more. as light of a pass as i take it does not seem to wear like the profile part of the stone.

bandmiller2

I've had the best luck with Cooks blue ceramic wheels.Like Steve said as the face of the wheel wears it reduces the hook of the tooth mayby we use too much hook.May be mistaken but hook helps the effort to feed the carriage on a manual bandmill,power feed mills with ample power are better served with less hook like 4-7 degrees.[my opinion] Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!