iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bone marrow test!

Started by Papa1stuff, June 30, 2010, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa1stuff

Well,today I went to have a bone marrow test ,after waiting for two weeks with all kinds of painfull thoughts going through my head.
As it turned out ,there was a littlle pin prick in my back and some scraping on the bone ,but no pain (Phew).
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

fishpharmer

Glad it wasn't as bad as it sounds, and it sounds bad.

Hope the results are good.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

My prayers are that everything is OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Papa1stuff

I will know the results in two weeks,also hoping they will be good.
Thanks!!

ellmoe

Hope you get the results you are looking for!

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

JSNH

You were cheated. I had one 16 years ago and it was like someone was standing on my back and running a hammer drill into my hip. Mine was fine I hope yours is too.

DanG

Quote from: JSNH on July 02, 2010, 10:02:18 PM
You were cheated. I had one 16 years ago and it was like someone was standing on my back and running a hammer drill into my hip. Mine was fine I hope yours is too.

See there!?  I been tellin' y'all that procrastination is the way to go!

Seriously though, Papa I'll be waiting anxiously to hear the results.  I'm also a bit curious as to why they needed to do this.  Keep us posted.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Papa1stuff

JSNH,my Wife had had one quite a while ago ,thats why I was a little nerveous about it,glad it turned out the way it did ;D

DanG,I have a very low platlet count and they are trying to find out why.
Will get an answer in a couple weeks ,hoping it's a good answer!!

DanG

I'm glad to hear that they're making progress in making some of these procedures less uncomfortable.  When they put the stent in my ticker last year, they went in through a tiny needle stick in my wrist.  I wore a bandaid for a day.  I had an Angiogram through my leg about 10 years ago and was just about crippled for a week.  Man, what a difference!

I'll be keeping you on my prayer list, Papa, and anxiously awaiting the results.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Onthesauk

I had a couple of those about ten years ago.  Admitted to the hospital, surgeon, nurses, operating room, expensive but slept through both of them.  Had another one about two years ago.  It was done in the doctor's office, took about an hour, most of that just resting when it was done.  Nothing to it and far less expensive.  A lot of health care decisions are being driven by cost but it's not all bad.

Keep us posted Papa, amazes me the breadth of experience on this board at times. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Papa1stuff

I went in this AM for my test results and they were good as far as the bone marrow ,it is producing ok ,so now they will just keep a check on me to make sure my platlet count stays where it is or higher.
That was a big relife to hear.
Thank everyone for your concern, it is appreciated!

Warbird

DanG

Whew!!  I'm sure relieved to hear good news.  Bad news coulda been really bad.

Magicman

Thanks for sharing the good news.  You will remain on my prayer list for your continued good health.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

thecfarm

I was hoping this would happen. Good news for sure.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

That's real good news!  Thanks for posting.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Papa1stuff

It is He%% to get old ,after I got the good news about the Bone Marrow test ,My left leg started to get red strips on it and really hurt.
I went to the ER to check it out and ended up in the Hospital for a week,turns out it was blood clots in the leg ,after some Cat scans they decieded that my lungs were also full of clots.

Well ,I am now home again and on Warfarin to thin my blood so it won't clot as quick.
I now have to be real carefull of cuts  and scratches.

That will just make me slow down  a little and be more carefull when sawing ,lots of logs and so little time.

Warbird

Hmmm.  Did they give you some sort of medication that made your blood start clotting up or what? 

Magicman

I'm glad to hear that you cleared another hurdle Papa.  Get busy, time-is-a-wasting.    :) :)

Papa1stuff

Warbird, they gave me the warfarin to thin the blood so it won't clot as easy.
They want the body to have time to clear the clots in my legs and lungs!

MM,how true time is awasting,but my wife doesn't want me near the mill yet so guess I'll have to wait a few days more!!

DanG

Well DanG, Papa!  That's not good, but it is better than what I was thinkin' when you went for the bone marrow test.  I'm gonna echo Warbird's question though.  Did they give you meds to counteract the low platelet count?  Platelets are what makes the blood clot when it should.  If it is clotting when it shouldn't, they may have over-medicated you and caused the current problem.  You may need to ask some pointed questions of your Doctor(s) to make sure about that, especially if more than one Doctor is involved.

Your Wife is right too.  Stay away from that sawmill unless you have plenty of competent help out there.  None of this solo stuff.  If you cut yourself, you're gonna bleed like a stuck hog!

Warbird

Dan worded my original question much better.  What caused the clots in the first place?  If'n I were you, I'd be asking some direct questions.  And I'd be asking them soon.

Papa1stuff

DanG, no meds for the Platelets yet ,Doc said they weren't to low yet! So are watching !
I am taking Wifes advice ,but it is hard to stay away from mill.and they called from landfill ,said they had a load of logs for me.

Warbird ,you are right and I will when my Doc gets back from Africa next week!

DanG

What are they gonna do with their logs when you croak, Papa?  I know that sounds a bit blunt, but with that Warfarin in you, any sort of injury will be many times worse than it would have been.  Something that normally wouldn't even slow you down could even be fatal.

I'm not saying you need to give up, but you might need to change some things.  If you've been working alone, it might be time to hire some help, for instance.

Thank You Sponsors!