iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 440-B Skidder

Started by Rincontrx650, June 29, 2010, 09:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincontrx650

Hi all, I am new to the forums and this is my first post.

I am taking delivery of my JD440-B tomorow after work and had a quick question.

I am wondering if I should be able to lift the front wheels off the ground when I activate my lever downwards, or should my front blade only go so far as level with the ground.

I just noticed this when I was trying it and was comparing it to my Case 680C backhoe where I can apply more pressure on the bucket when backbladding.

I am not sure whether it is a cylinder lenght restriction or bad actuator valve.

Thanks.

Tony

Bobus2003

Yes you should be able to lift the front of the machine off the ground with the blade.. On my 440 If i push my Blade lever too far forward it will only set to the ground in a "Float" position.. Sometimes mine will take a moment before it will actually lift the front end but it will do it

Frickman

Yes, you should be able to lift the front tires about a foot off the ground. I use the blade as my jack when changing the front tires.

You might even have low hydraulic pressure. Get a repair manual off Ebay or John Deere. It will show you how to check the main pump pressure.

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll like it here.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

arojay

Like the other guys said.  The float position is not a defined on these as some other machines, so maybe you are going right into it.  Is yours power-shift or Syncro-range?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Franksplanks

Quote from: arojay on June 29, 2010, 10:34:12 PM
Like the other guys said.  The float position is not a defined on these as some other machines, so maybe you are going right into it.  Is yours power-shift or Syncro-range?
Where in the Yukon are you? I'm in Atlin now, but have property in Haines Jct.

If the OP is having trouble raising the front end off the tires, try reving it up and see if that helps.

Gypo

treefarmer87

i have to put the blade down and jiggle the lever back and forth to bring mine off the ground
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Autocar

Another problem you might have is the seals on the ram may be worn enough that when you push fluid into the cylinders it pushes by the ram and right back into the hydraulic tank. I have seen this plenty of times on older machines. Good luck
Bill

Rincontrx650

Thank you all for your input.

I tried playing around with it a bit and developed a leak. I am waiting for cooler weather as in my area close to Ottawa it is 35 degrees and up to 42 with the humidex.

I will upload pics very soon.

Thank you all.

Tony.

P.S. I bought the operator and service manual from John Deere.

Thank You Sponsors!