iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am looking for a man for testing program for band saws to phone

Started by vadimo, June 29, 2010, 02:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadimo

Hello,

I am a sawyer with own Band Mill (Oscar 228) and developer for little program for cuting with Band Mill with manual blade down/up, which i named Band Saw Computer (BSC). It is a java (j2me) application for cell phones, like Accuset, but with more extended with more features. It is a good helper for me. But sometimes i find bug in program. Latest two in Pattern mode and in Calculating square measures from log. I looking for man, which be able install this program to phone, which too saw the logs with band saw, with manual height blade set up/down and report me experiences with it. And too for editing me bad English. More information (old version) are on the unfinished project website: bsc.gejdos.sk. The program is possible download, but have limited options. If you have option when install this program, please install it into the phone memory instead memory card.
If any man have time for me, please contact me.

Thanks, Michal.

boman1

tyb525

I've seen your other posts about this...I don't fully understand it. Does it actually control the mill, or is it just a calculator that you input numbers into?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kansas

When I first read this post I thought,  why in the world on a cellphone? Obviously, if its a manual head, it won't control the head.  If I am reading the post right. Then it struck me of the simplicity of it all. All those manual mills out there, mostly by new and weekend sawyers. Nearly everyone carries a cellphone these days. Want to cut some 1 1/2 inch boards and figure the kerf in? Want to know what size of a cant you can get out of a certain diameter log? For the newer, occasional, and just starting out sawyers with the smaller personal bandmills, and if I am reading it right, this is a brilliant idea. All the sawing scales you need could be programmed into your cellphone.

I think. Again,if I understand this post.

Bibbyman

If it's only a fancy electronic cheat sheet and it's on a small device that I can't operate (with my fat fingers) or see (with the poor display and my old eyesight) then I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

We ran a manual LT40 for 7 years and only needed the scale on the head.  On the rare occasion that we needed something that was not on the scale, we just made marks with a lead pencil that could be smudged off later. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

vadimo

Quote from: tyb525 on June 29, 2010, 05:58:42 PM
I've seen your other posts about this...I don't fully understand it. Does it actually control the mill, or is it just a calculator that you input numbers into?

Only calculate, don`t control. Then you must manual set the blade height by scale.

---
Kansas, you have right.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: vadimo on June 30, 2010, 01:36:19 AM
Quote from: tyb525 on June 29, 2010, 05:58:42 PM

Only calculate, don`t control. Then you must manual set the blade height by scale.

---
Kansas, you have right.
Agree with both Kansas and Vadimo.   Same computer calculations as Accuset, and directly uses the mill height scale.  Very practical idea.  Once you get it worked out maybe someone could design  an i-Phone app.   I'm still waiting for a Wood-Mizer sawmill video game.  Why not practice sawing skills when things are slow, there are no blades to sharpen, honey-do list is caught up, and there aren't any FF posts to read??? Or hook 5th graders on sawing?  smiley_hollywood_cool
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tyb525

"Sawmill Tycoon" I'm surprised noone has made it yet, seeing how many other"Tycoon" games there are!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

vadimo

Hello. I think I`m done with this program. I finished too with user manual, you can look for it here. In next days i be solve registering and great sale off for forestryforum members :-) . But in the user manual is certainly more grammatical erros.
Michal.

gator gar

I'm like some of the rest of the crowd. My fingers are too fat and I couldn't see the numbers on my phone to start with. One thing I can do, is walk the dog, with Woodmizers quarter scale that they have on the mill. If they don't have what I am trying to cut, I make my own scale and add the kerf in and then just make my marks on the scale itself. I can process numbers pretty quick in my head, but it's alot quicker to just drop the mill head down to a pre-existing line and go with it.  It's just too easy for me to just use what is available.

sgschwend

Have you had this happen.  You are cutting for a customer and they have provided an off bearer.  You are using a manual scale and that becomes a 1 5/8 step.  So you are keeping track of the last scale value in your head.  The helper keeps peppering you with questions, distracting you when you are going to pick the next set value.

This device which is a proto typed being tested in a cell phone.  In looking at the web site it does look like it is a cell phone only solution.  Too bad.

It needs to be a real hand held device with large bright display numbers and large keys.  Something you can mount next to the manual scale.

No one has low cost computer setworks, this might help change that.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

vadimo

Thanks for all comments.
In future i want rewrite this program for computers and too for small cheap laptops (netbooks). On the ebay from 75 USD. Very slow processor, but useful for this application. In winter are longer nights and works is few.
In practice i use this program with notepad and pencil. A first i calculating, then writing to notepad and as the last cutting.

backwoods sawyer

With software like that it would not take a whole lot more to add the hardware to make it auto up down.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sgschwend

I have offered to edit the documents for Vadimo (Michal).  He has accepted, so this solution will have a useful manual.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

vadimo

When we finished, then i give this software free for forestryforum members.

sdunston

I would be willing to give it a shot and would be happy to give feedback
thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Stephen1

This sounds like it would be great for me, as all I have is a yardstick on the side of my mill. I will also be more than happy to give feed back..
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sgschwend

I worked on the manual last night.

There is a lot of capability.  He has three ways to calculate the set values.  Two more than I would need.

There are other utilities, such as calculating cant size, determining the ideal amount of tapper correction, and heart center cut positions.

The user can define cutting programs, and enter offsets for saw kerf, select scale resolution, and set the minimum bottom board thickness.

I would like to change a few names or titles of some of the functions to make them more obvious, since nobody wants to keep looking at the manual.

I will try and load the program into a spare phone tonight.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

tyb525

sgschwend

I have sent a manual draft to Michal.  I think the manual explains what the program can do and would be worth downloading a copy to read, but it needs to be the version I have worked on.  Which I assume means it will take a couple of days to edit the program and upload the manual (in draft form) to his web page.

If anyone wants a copy now, send me an email.

I am still trying to download it into my phone.  It appears that almost all phone will run this application.  I have Verizon Wireless and they want me to pay them a monthly fee to download.  So I am trying to use a data cable and load it from my PC.

Running the program looks easy, the hard part is getting it in my phone.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

vadimo

Mr. sgschwen is like professional editor from NY Times :-) Many thanks! Please contact me administrator of this forum how we can distrubute this program (only unlocking number) for free for ForestryForum memebers if is any interested from your side. This splash image look great? No?

vadimo

I thinking about new features. Edit the Heart cut and add here choice for calculating Heart cut with Counting up.

You fill:
- log booth diamters
- Heart slab thickness
- Upper slabs thickness

Result is cut positions from top to bottom. Last cut is bottom the Heart slab. Is this features useful?

sdunston

I would rather see this program in PC format to be used on a cheap laptop, I hate those small keys on a cell phone.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

sgschwend

The author of the program (Michal) has created files for the Blackberry.  I have just had a fed minutes to look at the program.

Here is the first question:
Is the sawmill scale set to the center of the saw?  What would be the most common way to do this.  I know that the scales can be moved up or down but the program will assume an alignment to the saw.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!