iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bike Trip 2010 #1

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, June 29, 2010, 08:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

First motorcycle trip this year takes us to the twistiest roads we can find in Appalachia.
Pikcing up the trip hare on the morning of day 3. We made it to Ashville Nc last night. We rode locally on Saturday and left for real on Sunday, We rode Skyline Dirve and the Blueridge Parkway. Scenic overkill! got rained on a little yesterday.
Today we are heading for the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skiway in west North Carolina and Tennessee.

:D
Jon

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Burlkraft

Sounds like fun.

Ride safe!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

The dragon was closed due to a rock slide. Hopefully it's reopened.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pappy

Man O man that Blueridge Parkway is sur some purdy,, reminds me a little of New England actually  ;)  any destination,,, or where ever young Elvis wishes to go  ;D

Ride on big Jon  8)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Weekend_Sawyer

June 29, We had planned to ride a big triangle starting with a western ride of the Cherohala skyway then run north up route 360 and turning east and south to ride down the Dragon. Ah well, best of laid plans. Route 129 west of the Dragon was still closed due to rock slides so we were forced to ride out and back on the Cherohala then run the dragon out and back. Incredible twisty riding I highly recommend it.

June 30, took us up into Bluff City TN where we had great BBQ sandwiches at the Ridgewood BBQ. We continued on to Bristol but couldn't get onto the NASCAR track as Goodyear was testing tires that day. Spent the night in Abington VA.

July 1,  this was Carl's old stomping grounds so he led us through some back roads that came close to making the Dragon look tame! We wound up in Paintsville, KY near Loretta Lynn's home town.

July 2, was a nice ride up the Ohio river on the Ohio side. Rolling hills following the river makes route 7 a must ride for eastern motorcycling. We turned east just north of Wheeling and now we all felt the trip coming to an end.

July 3, we made our way across PA  on route 30, when we got to Gettysburg John split off, we turned south on 15 and Gerald split off at Frederic, Carl and I jumped on I70 east. This was the first interstate since getting off I66 in VA on June 26th. Carl continued on I70 to Baltimore when I turned off onto Route 32 heading for home.

We touched 8 states and rode 2540 miles in 8 days.

Weekend_Sawyer

Cast of Characters, L to R, John who rides an 88' Full Dresser with just over 100,000 miles on it, Carl has a 2010 Heratage Softail, Gerald on a 08' Screamin Eagle Dresser and myself on my ever faithful Street Glide.

This pic was taken at a scenic overlook on the Dragon.

Raider Bill

Glad you all had a good trip. I was afraid the dragon was still closed. Did you get into Tellico Plains?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

No, we didn't get to the west side due to the rock slides.

Piston

Sounds like an awesome trip!  Nothin better than good BBQ on a long ride!  John your my hero....I can only hope that someday my '01 heritage hits the 6 figures on the odometer!
How bout some more pics of that georgous scenery. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!