iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grilling planks?

Started by paul case, June 28, 2010, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

a friend of mine showed me some cedar grilling planks yesterday. i had heard of them but i really had no idea what they were and still dont. they arent erc i know that for sure. they are about 1/2''x6'' or 8''x18'' long. 2 in the package. they sell retail for $12.99. best i can figure that is like $4/ bd.ft. the pakage says athens ,GA. i think these are made for smoking fish on.
is anyone here making these? is this a certain kind of cedar? would hickory work? just wondering? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Raider Bill

Mine are cedar not sure what kind. I cook salmon on them, sometimes other fish but mostly salmon.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ely

i heard about cooking carp on a pine board but thats all i know about it. ;D

Onthesauk

The ones used here in the NW are either Western Red Ceder or Alder.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

If you use the forum search, and search with "fish planks"  you will get a few threads on the subject.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

thanks . did you guys cut your own?   do they need to be dried?
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Raider Bill

I soak them before using.

DanG

I thought that little fad had about died out, but I guess not.  My Son asked me about it just the other day.  I tried it once a few years ago and didn't like it.  Linda had bought some little planks and I grilled some salmon on them.  Came close to throwing the fish away!  I could have just marinated them in Vicks Vaporub and gotten the same effect. :D  I have too many great ways of cooking tasty food to waste time trying to find the right wood for that. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: DanG on June 28, 2010, 11:39:11 AM
Linda had bought some little planks and I grilled some salmon on them.  Came close to throwing the fish away!  I could have just marinated them in Vicks Vaporub and gotten the same effect. :D 
Supposed to throw the fish away, and eat the planks.  Least that's what I heard about carp.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

gunman63

cant throw away lutefisk !!!!!!!!!!  tasty carp.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ARKANSAWYER

I sell hickory ones and they are 3/8 x 6 x 13" and I put them in a US Postal prepay pack and ship them to CA.   I guess they do not have hickory out there.  The shipping cost as much as the 6 boards but they are very happy so far.  I have tried cooking that way and not just real wild about the whole process.  I have made the boards out of walnut, cherry, hickory, erc, sickamore and ash.  Walnut and hickory are the best sellers but if they ask for it to be cut I make what they want.
  When cooking carp on a pine board get one without knots.  They are hard to chew through and the pitch sticks to your tooth. 
ARKANSAWYER

Chuck White

I've been following this one!

Now, if I have this correct, you would use a wood that will impart a flavor such as hickory (as in hickory smoked) to whatever is being grilled/smoked.

I take it that these planks are to be soaked in water, prior to use to aid in the flavor transfer as well as not burn up.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Sounds interesting.  Just might have to give it a try someday.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Yep pretty much. The water also adds moisture to the fishalmost like a steam.

It's differnt.

jdrum

never grilled with planks but i remember my uncles broiling fish on planks in front of the fire. split the fish down the middle and peg to the plank skin side down rub down with butter, salt  & pepper, and stand on end. then used the plank for a plate.

jim

Chris Burchfield

Lowe's and Kroger sell em in Memphis.  Son was doing some figuring on this very thing a couple of months ago.  Was well convinced he could get rich based on board foot.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Thank You Sponsors!