iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Urban forest products: an emerging nation-wide industry.

Started by sherrill, June 27, 2010, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherrill

I haven't communicated through this forum recently.  I am very active in trying to move urban tree utilization forward to the point where it becomes the urban forest products industry.  Unlike forest products, the process of utilizing downed urban trees as a source of lumber and material for wood artists involves a different harvesting process and recognition as a separate industry.  One move currently in its early stages of planning is a CA state-wide urban forest products conference and show at the Presidio in San Francisco on 5/19-21/11.  I would like to hear from any of you in CA who have an interest in attending and your comments.  Eventually I would like to see a nation-wide conference. Comments on this are welcome as well. 

Ironwood

Sherrill,

Thanks for posting. I am in the "industry" in a major sort of way. Although it is still somewhat of a "zero sum" game things are developing. Look through my gallery at numerous pics of my efforts. I would be interested in a role of some sort in the regional development (or more). My occupational multiple pursuits allows me some leeway in marginal log pursuit. I try to limit my margnal risk, but there are always winners and losers in the pile. I also fabricate some VERY unusual machines to"get to them" I have few self powered walk behind machines "on the project list" that are the remnants of self powered off road enviromental drilling rigs that where salvaged from the scrap yard.   

I also serve on the Board of a 501c3 reuse warehouse in Pittsburgh and know how regs can drive reuse markets, and Cali usually drives that. I would be interested in the conference.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

"The best intentions of mice and men..." :-\

Wecome, Sherrill it's good to have you aboard.  You sound very experienced and I can't wait to learn from you.

When the words "industry" and "california" come together my minds eye starts flashing "REGULATION" in a big way.  All to often, well meaning ideas get stepped on by big industry and/or the government and pushes aside the "little" man and enlightened among us.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,32727.0.html

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31501.0.html

You sound like a guy that dots all of his i's and crosses all of his t's, though. Hopefully your vision of this industry works out like you planned. :)

Metalspinner - The Optimist. :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Daren

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

sjfarkas

If I'm still in the business I'd be interested.  I'm 3 hours from SF.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Ironwood

As far as Cali, many times enviro regs drive a new industry, this is/has happened in the building material reuse industry. "green" waste regs will be the driver behind the "urban forest industry" as well, at least to the extent it will incentivise the game for some truly "urban" tree cutting folks (private enterprises, and municipal crews as well)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Stephen1

Welcome sherrill to the forum, I hope we get to hear more about where you are headed, I believe that the use of the urban forest, as logs, to  have a future, versus watching these tree's be ground for mulch. The town next to ours leaves the trunk of the tree standing and hires tree carver's to come and carve reliefs  into the trees.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!